What WOOD do you tyhink this is

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Daughter bought approx 70 year old house in Raleigh Five Points area. Found an old front door in the garage and started to strip it to see if she wanted to put it back on the house. After sanding she said it had a distinctive pine forest smell. She likes natural wood look "which makes me blush with pride".

I have not seen this door in person, just these pics she sent yesterday.

Tight Grain looks like QS yellow pine to me. But wanted some other opinions. Could it be some kind of spruce or cedar? Also, what clear finish do you recommend using. Not sure if they will use a storm door in front of it but it will be the front door on their covered front porch.
IMG_2801.JPG

Old Hardware. She would like to clean polish & reuse.
IMG_2803.JPG

Side thickness view.
IMG_2802.JPG

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I vote Fir also. Was very commonly used for windows, doors, and other millwork

JohnW

New User
John
I hadn't thought of fur. Have not worked with it that I know of.
Checking some pics of doug fir, it sure does look like it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

dwebb

New User
Drew
I agree with the Douglas fir guess. I'm using some right now for a vanity top and it's the same grain pattern.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It'll be very interesting to see it after the stripping and prep work is done.

Also, what clear finish do you recommend using. Not sure if they will use a storm door in front of it but it will be the front door on their covered front porch.

I'd use this mix +/-, but don't get the junk marine spar varnishes at the BORGs. Epifanes is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKn-4zPB5E

The brass hardware can be cleaned, polished, and coated with sprayed lacquer. That'll look nice too.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Epifanes has a high solids content with UV-filters. Waterlox Marine varnish is another good choice. I recently did two Douglas Fir doors with the Waterlox Marine and they look wonderful.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Epifanes has a high solids content with UV-filters. Waterlox Marine varnish is another good choice. I recently did two Douglas Fir doors with the Waterlox Marine and they look wonderful.

Pics will be helpful to all of us. I like Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish but have not used their Marine varnish. I have used MS diluted Epifanes and it's good also.

JohnW

New User
John
Interesting finishing info here. Thanks.
I've wiped on a 1/3-1/3-1/3 mix before for indoor application but used Rock Hard Table Top Varnish/BLO/Mineral Spirits as the ingredients. Would the Naptha be used as a drier in place of the spirits? If that's the case, I'd think spirits would evaporate slower giving more working time to finish a larger area.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
John,

Mineral spirits will be fine and it'll dry slightly slower than naphtha but either one is fine.

Your finish and its drying time is more important than the solvent used to apply it.

Glennbear

Glenn
There are some pics of QS Douglas-fir here. That'd make some nice door construction wood that shouldn't bind with moisture changes.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/fir, douglas.htm

Goliath of the Pacific Northwest!

https://rephaim23.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/tallest-douglas-fir-and-redwood-in-america/

Thanks for posting these links, I am a big fan of this species and these are the best links I have seen. I am fortunate to have a stash of old Fir gym bleacher boards that were milled 50+ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS