What Wax After Danish Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I like the finish left by Danish Oil but on some pieces I'd like to add just a tad of 'bling'.
What wax is good?
The current project is Ambrosia Maple so I fear a wax that may get trapped in the grain.
Thanks.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I saw a reciept for a paste wax for 3 parts oil (of choice) 1 part bees wax.

Last post you made made me spill a drink in my lap by the way. Just thought id share that with you

Thanks Mark

timf67

New User
Tim
I like making my own beeswax/oil blend, but it isn't very durable and its best application is on food items. Beeswax is too soft for most items, and carnauba wax is too hard by itself. Most commercial wood waxes like Briwax (which is what I use for non-food applications) is a blend of beeswax, carnauba wax and synthetic waxes.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Over the years I have used Simonize Can & Furniture wax (no longer available), Minwax, Trewax, Renaissance Wax and now have two cans of Johnson Paste Wax. I can see no real difference between them. The only thing I pay attention to is using a dark wax on dark colored deep pore woods.

Personally, I don't like to use wax. It offers no additional protected. Once you start, you have a lifetime project of re-waxing if you want to maintain the appearance.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks guys, I picked up a can of Minwax wax this morning. A test on the back of the bandsaw box looks like it will work great.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I use Minwax on the few things I wax, but I am with Howard on this one; it really doesn't do much. I actually use it more on jigs than anything else, to keep cauls from getting stuck when I clamp and glue or for pieces that are supposed to slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors