What type of tree

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
Can anyone identify this tree for me. It fell on my garage last night.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    849.8 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    778.4 KB · Views: 294

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
It is water oak. Reputed to be poor for woodworking but don't believe it. I have sawn lumber from them and made very nice benches.
Bob

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
A search of PLANTSNAP, an app I have on my phone, turns up Magnolia virginiana, or more commonly known as Sweetbay. Google it to learn more about it, but it is a cousin of the Southern Magnolia, of which there are 3 on my property. Sweetbay lumber will be about the same hardness as mahogany but is a low grade utility wood prone to deterioration when exposed to the elements.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
There are leaves all over. It is just a bad picture because it is hard to get to. The tree was healthy and full before the storm Friday night. We got some high winds and it snapped off about four foot from the ground.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I vote for a Water Oak. I have lots of them on my property as well as Blackjacks. I had the forestry guy spend a few hours here to identify trees in my woods and he said most people remove Blackjack trees as they are a bit invasive, but I should definetly leave the Water Oaks to grow.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I have a water oak on the property that appears the same, except mine is need of very expensive supplements because it was planted in the street easement. Or that what the certified arborist said " best to take it down"
I have only made pens and one bowl from another tree reputed to be water oak, ( from my brother's place) which came down several years ago and he brought me a chunk. It turned nicely and finished OK.
Enjoy the FOG wood ( found on ground), Ed

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I also vote for water or blackjack oak. Blackjack has longer acorns and is more similar to a live oak. Water oak has a short round acorn and is very common around here. The ones I have slabbed have a lighter color than the Southern Red Oak, but water oak is a member of the red oak family. Other than a bit lighter color, I have found little difference in the water oak and red oak for woodworking. Looking at the bark I am going to go with water oak.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
Thank you everyone, I am going to go with water oak. If I mill some of it I will get some pictures of the wood.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like turning wood to me, since there is more than likely shakes through out that truck now.

BKHam

Bradley
User
blackjack oak leaves look like a 3 toed dinosaur footprint, water oak more like a cross. vote water oak, a member of the red oak family. most red oaks have pointy leaves (devil...pointy ears....red...). but water oaks have rounded leaves. wake forest is dominated by willow oaks and water oaks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS