What to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drchristian

New User
David
This may seem like a dumb question but I’ll ask it anyway. In order to keep up my skill I ned to build Furniture. The question is what can I build that people will buy? I am not wanting to make a fortune just break even to support my love of building. I would just ike to break even on a piece or make a little, would be nice. I have built shaker side tables for several people and a few dining room tables with side benches. The people that I built for love them but most have were givin to them for gifts. I am building an oak dining table for a guy now that I will make a little above my cost. Just some ideas please. I cannot afford to just give it away very often.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Coffee tables, small side tables, sofa tables, and desk type tables all seem to sell fairly well if you can get them in front of folks with extra cash.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Mike is right on David, you want to keep your product small until you've created a customer base, thus keeping your overhead low at the same time. Unless you have a showroom somewhere, your goods need to be portable so you can present them at a craft fair, or other venue, where customers can more easily carry their purchases away. You may also try farmer's markets near you, but remember, when selling hard goods, the farmers markets tend to attract the same buyers on a weekly basis, and your sales will drop after a few sessions. Good luck with your endeavors David, and keep us informed of your wins and losses.

Jerry C

New User
Jerry
You are more likely to sell small items quickly and for more profit. Small boxes, chests, book cases, and the like should sell well and still allow you to build and maintain your skills. I have decided to only be an amateur woodworker....I build for fun, for skill building, and to help others. I find small items take more skill than large items. People who can combine woodworking skill with creativity are the real artists and make the most sellable items. Make unique, make quality, make useful and it will sell.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I will make a little above my cost. Just some ideas please. I cannot afford to just give it away very often.[/QUOTE]

I am finding some simple stuff is selling quickly. I just can not make things that are just machine repetition projects but I don't need to make the entire piece by hand to achieve some satisfaction.

All seating furniture will sell. When you sell tables, people ask for chair solutions. When you build chairs, folks will ask if you make tables.

stool_2018_4_.JPG

1-10_fb_2018_018.JPG

00140.JPG

Trestle_5_sept_010.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors