What to do with a Grand Prize that I cannot use.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
None of the add ons from the old site work on the new one. I was unable yet to find a viable classified or auction software for XenForo 2 yet that was reasonable.
I see requests for auction add-ons for Xenforo, but have yet to see one materialize

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
IMHO, if you want to auction something, there are sites where you can do that already. If you prefer to sell your item to an NCWW member, offer it for sale in the 'for sale' forum and accept offers.

As far as I know, we do not have any rules stating that you cannot offer an item to the highest 'bidder'.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Like many others here there are items I like and those I don't, but I'd suggest being careful about sending the wrong message to the supportive vendors who donate items to the raffle. We should be very grateful for all donations. If you donated an auction item or three and no one bought a ticket for them would you donate future items?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Like many others here there are items I like and those I don't, but I'd suggest being careful about sending the wrong message to the supportive vendors who donate items to the raffle. We should be very grateful for all donations. If you donated an auction item or three and no one bought a ticket for them would you donate future items?

That's a very good point.

I buy tickets to the raffle to do my small part to support this site. I really don't ever expect to win, but I have won a few great prizes. If you happen to win something that you don't need or can't use, you can sell it or perhaps trade for something you do need (as Donn and Berta pointed out). Either way, you have provided some support for this web site and you could possibly come out ahead on the deal.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I buy tickets to the raffle to do my small part to support this site. I really don't ever expect to win, but I have won a few great prizes.

Agreed, I'm thrilled with my winnings this year, but I have 2 items from last years winnings that still are sitting in the box, never used, and likely will never be used by me. Really should get my act together and post them for sale...

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Just curious. All the prizes were great but some I really wanted, some I couldn't use and some I had no interested. Instead of 1 big drawing, would it increase or decrease interest to let people by tickets and then let them pick for which prizes their tickets go toward. That would change from 1 big drawing with multiple prizes to multiple raffles with 1 prize per drawing. So it you saw something you really wanted, you put all your tickets to that prize. If you saw a few things, then you spread your tickets out of those prizes. That would make sure that the winners always got something they wanted. Just a curious thought. It would most likely mean some 3rd party online system for the raffle to help facilitate this.

It's an interesting idea. It adds a fun strategy element to the raffle as well. Put your ticket towards the grand prize and your odds will almost certainly be lower than if you put them towards a prize with less monetary value. It looks like this type of raffle is sometimes called a "Chinese Auction" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_auction.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you prefer to sell your item to an NCWW member, offer it for sale in the 'for sale' forum and accept offers.

As far as I know, we do not have any rules stating that you cannot offer an item to the highest 'bidder'.
This type of sale is usually sold for a base price "OBO". Or best offer...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS