What motivates you to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was going to avoid answering this question, but I realized I have to.
Sometimes I feel so inept, and I have to remind myself this is a hobby and I need to enjoy it regardless of the outcome, how much I get done, whether someone else likes what I did or not...

Anyway, as many of you know my job pulls me away from the shop and from NCWW for L-O-N-G periods of time.
I find I get restless and almost feel "unbalanced!"

I kind of said the heck with everything one day during the 4th weekend and prepped some lumber for a sawbench I have been planning to make for some time.

The SYP has been standing in the corner WAY too long. So I pulled a 2 X 6 down, grabbed a saw and "WENT AT IT"

Quickly realizing;
This D@#$ saw is dull...
Oh, well, it will be fun getting it right!

Well, poop on a stick - I forgot the saw vise was broken...

so;
1. fix the vise
repaired_saw_vise.jpg

repaired_saw_vise_2.jpg

2. sharpen the saw
3. sharpen the plane blade
4. rough-cut the boards for the saw bench
5. Square the stock
6. mark out a dovetail
7. Cut them
8. Assemble a leg
saw_bench.jpg

saw_bench_2.jpg

So all this work and I was looking at it and got REALLY upset! LOOK at that gap in that center pin and tail!
UGH!
Then I realized how calm I was before I got upset about that and thought, O.K. how do you fix it?
Once I calmed down, I realized it is so simple. I can determine if I can plane a little thickness off the outside of the board or simply pare away at the outer half pins so the board seats lower. I purposely left the tails long to plane into place.
Last, I thought, you know what - its a saw bench, even if there is a gap in that pin and tail connection it is not the end of the world and there are three more joints to cut, just move on and enjoy your time in the shop!

So with all that said - that is my message, go do something you enjoy!
Something that lowers your blood pressure or simply lets you forget about everything for a few minutes!

"That is motivation to make!"

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'd say a couple of things motivate/drive me to get in the shop most every day.

First is all the family members wanting to know when I think I can start on their piece of furniture. As you've probably heard me say, my current TO-DO list exceeds my life expectancy. :confused_

Second, I have this nagging feeling that I HAVE to produce something every day. I hate wasting a day that I could have done something useful. Even though I'm retired I still feel compelled to DO SOMETHING useful.

Third, I'm afraid that if I ever just sit down and do nothing, I'll never get back up. :tinysmile_cry_t:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
After reading this thread I realized we all seem to have one common denominator. We all NEED TO DO something or produce something daily. Even when Im not woodworking, I try to accomplish something outside of my regular job daily. No matter what, I cant just go home and do NOTHING. Woodworking fills in the gaps between home ownership chores and many times they overlap, thats how I got into this in the first place, home remodeling. There are many days I dont want to start a new project knowing full well if I do, I have adjust this or dig out that like Hank said and then maybe after 2 hours begin actually doing something. This can be very draining from a creative high standpoint and cause me to not even start many times, so I find something else to do. Times like that I feel almost guilty that I have such a vast array of high quality equipment and Im not even using it. But, then there ar other times where I cant wait to get in the shop and start on something new no matter what. But sadly, I cant pinpoint the inspiration many times, its just a fleeting feeling that comes and goes. The creative bug I guess.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I think I may have a little bit of a different problem (but then I'm always different). I have zero issues getting motived... But I have a big problem finding time. Then there's that space between my ears, that gets more vast as the years pass by. I just simply forget... It's a little embarrassing when I said I would do something and just simply forget about it :(

Heck I'll be working away on something and forget to eat - the wife has to remind me to eat, now that's pretty doggone bad...

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Mike,
I find myself more motivated by the interest in doing a project, which can come from many different influences and less about what I'll do with it when finished. I also completely understand the feelings about your recent show experience. I can remember back when my father would go to different shows with his fine stone work, he made beautiful figurines and jewelry from unusual and rare stones. It seemed he always was stuck in the craft section. I'm not knocking another person's hobby, but when you're surrounded by people making and selling beer can wind chimes and belt buckles made from car parts, it's hard to display the kind gemstones that he was using in his pieces. He would hear the same comments "that's nice" and when asked how much something like that would cost, he'd hear "why is that so expensive". He was later approached by a local jeweler to make a custom piece for a customer, after that he never did another show, but did commissioned work for several jewerlers in our area, he just enjoyed the journey of that approach.
I've never had the desire to sell any of my projects or carvings, probably because of his experiences. Recently I was asked to show some of my bird carvings and decoys at a festival show. I hesitated at first because I didn't want to fall into the same sort of trappings that happened to my father. They assured me I would be in an area where it was only showing and not selling; that was a totally different experience from what I remember as a boy.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I don't know what motivates me, but I do know what de-motivates me; hot, muggy weather like today. I just spent about an hour adjusting a striker plate on our patio door this morning. It's only about 83 degrees, but the humidity must be off the scale. I'm soaked and wiped out. I had to go into the shop several times for tools and such and it was worse in there. AC was on in the shop but hadn't had enough time to do much.

We're having 3 old pine trees, one of which has been lightening struck, taken out later this morning and that will be all I care to deal with today.

Heat index is supposed to hit 100 today. Napping in front of the TV in the AC is about all I'll be doing this afternoon.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Since I don't get home from work until 7:00 pm and try to get to bed by 9:30 pm, after work is not a time for me to get into the shop. So, for me the weekends are when I'm most likely to do work in the shop. And what I've found out works for me to get motivated is to get up and go to breakfast at Golden Corral. Since they switch to lunch around 10:30 am, I like to get there at no later than 9:00 and I'm done by 9:30 or so and home before 10:00. I go straight into the workshop and find that I can get lots done even if it's just cleaning up. But if I go into the house and sit down, the day is shot. LOL! It also helps that I have a to do list on my phone that I seem to add things to, but don't seem to be taking many things off. :-(

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Mike, some of my last thoughts as I lay in bed are about what I want to make, or continue working on the next day. That helps me to want to get out of bed and get going, because it ain't easy for me to give up that snug nest.
You should host a workshop on building a shaving horse. Give a list of materials needed and a time, and get 'er done! I could use some professional help to build mine!
Another thing, you've really got a pile on your plate with work, NCWW, woodworking, etc. Depression can snag a person when they sometimes feel a little overwhelmed. I never thought I had any depression until my Dr. put me on an anti-depressant. I felt remarkably better. Just sayin' so don't get upset with me.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bruce, even with my problems of allergy, the pain and swelling it brings, I have never been happier. I'm just trying to figure out where to go next in my works, what art to follow (been thinking a lot about taking up painting again), how to help others(you are doing great for the Vets, haven't thanked you enough), where I'm needed, what I need, and what to do next.

It's not a simple or easy answer.

I got where I am through God's grace, a bit of serendipity, many mistakes, a few good friends, the help and support of my wife and our kids, and now I would like to have a little more control in what and where I go next. Just trying to think things through and it helps to bounce around some ideas sometimes. Nothing more than that.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
In my unprofessional opinion Mike, I think you're doing just fine! And thank you so very much for all your tireless efforts on behalf of NCWW. You do much more than is seen here, and we all appreciate it tremendously my brother!:eusa_clap

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Donn, I'll trade you some shop time for a little repair work on the rigging of a model ship my Dad built. Maybe throw in some golf time:D

John

John, I have been out-of-pocket for awhile, so I am just now seeing your post. Rigging can be a challenge, but rigging that is well-done is what really make these ships distinctive. I have been working on my current model (HMS Bounty) for 18 months and still have another 6-7 weeks of work (rigging) left. I have already purchased my next kit (HMS Agamemnon), which will easily take me 3 years to complete. That said, if you are interested, after I complete my current project, I'll take a look at your Dad's model and see if there is anything I can do to help.

Donn

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
After rereading this thread I doubt my first answer was any use. So here is my second try. Knowing that I can get demotivated when a project is not going as planned, I always have a fallback project or two (actually about five) on my radar screen and I am working on all - maybe just researching or gathering material, but working on them in some fashion. I constantly bounce from one to another. Sometimes a project goes sour and I just move to another and never look back. This is my normal, but I have been told I am not right.
Try it you might like it too

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had to re-evaluate my motivation and decided money is not my goal.

Helping my family, NCWW, and the Arts Council is my my reason for building wood objects.

I may not be doing my best at that but I'm doing ok.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
What inspires me to make?

I don't really know, but when I'm not thinking about, designing, actually making, or repairing/improving something, I get a very empty feeling inside me. I have to make and keep making or I get that feeling. I'm going to have to downsize soon. One of the biggest reasons that I've been delaying this is that I need a workshop. I don't just want one. I need it, and I'm not feeling good about making another shop or even having the space or health to make another shop.

Charley

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am motivated by making something useful, and by developing a new skill (or sharpening a current skill). I do find making purely decorative items if often de-motivating. YMMV.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I find motivation from a vague question such as "Can you make X?"

First of all, that gets me to thinking about where my current skill level is, and the areas I need to improve to get there? Then, I find myself searching YouTube for examples of what I interpret "X" to be. Lord only knows what they are wanting "X" to be. In the process, I make a lot of sawdust, trial and many errors, and eventually a finished product that has served more than one final purpose.

The recipient is gracious and sometimes even in awe of the finished product which leaves me with a bigger head than I started out with.

I am seeing that the learning experience and how I can put that into action for the next vague request is my motivation factor.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Mike,

I still need to get my bench built, you can come help me do that and maybe hold a turning class for Amy and I!! :) Now that grad school is on summer break until the 21st I have some time on the weekends again.

Scott

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike,

I still need to get my bench built, you can come help me do that and maybe hold a turning class for Amy and I!! :) Now that grad school is on summer break until the 21st I have some time on the weekends again.

Scott

I have most Sundays open, let me know when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors