What motivates you to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I remember as a child on Sundays after church my parents, sisters and I driving to visit the grandparents farm. On the drive there I would study the shapes and moldings on the houses. There was something new every time and that stirred my imagination. Most everyone in the family was or is a maker of some kind in many mediums. So seeing all their creations always had me going show me, I want to know how to do that. A few were patient enough to actually show me and teach me a way to build skills.

As a teenager during the summers my father would have me work with some of his friends who were tradesmen. So I worked with framers, trim carpenters,masons, plasterers, sheet rockers, painters, grocers, picture framers. I did not always like the jobs I had, some I actually hated, but I learned so much and that gave me the confidence to tackle so many projects in my life. These experiences as I have gotten older are the memories I hold nearest to my heart and I'm greatful for those who were willing to put up with an over confident sometimes cocky young man who hard charged into so many mistakes that Dave Berry doesn't have enough humerus material to cover or describe.

All of the jobs my father arranged for me, with all the personalities are the things in my life that motivate me on a daily basis. Now I have addmit there are days the heart is in it and the body ain't, and there are days when the body is there and heart is missing. It happens to all of us not just makers. The main thing is I keep showing up and even if I'm not at full tilt, I'm present and I'm willing to grind it out. The amazing thing when I'm in that grind it out mod of work is after I call it quits for a day, evening or what ever, is the sense of an accomplishment, I can't allow myself to quit or change course. Being a maker is who I am and apart of what I make. I don't always make great strides on a project durning a work session and I give myself permission not to, but I accomplish something and for that I'll always be greatful without regret for the things that being a maker reveals to me about who I am and where it is taking me.

Wow, sorry for getting a little windy. Let's go make something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS