What motivates you to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have had a hard time this year, getting into the shop, thinking of things to make, getting going on long over due projects, cleaning and organizing my shop.

Most days I just come home, flop on the couch and do nothing.

What gets you going?

How do you keep going when you just don't feel like doing anything?

Sometimes I wish I had a neighbor to come over and push me.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My father taught me some good habits - trust me I also have some bad ones I learned all by myself.
Anyhow he always said get up before the sun and stay off your butt until the the sun goes down.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That is probably more true than you know. Having a job that requires sitting 8 hours, 5 days a week takes a lot out of you.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'm familiar with the problem. For me, it's like the old Nike slogan says, "Just do it."

That said, sometimes I just don't. :)

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is probably more true than you know. Having a job that requires sitting 8 hours, 5 days a week takes a lot out of you.

There is more truth in that than you know, Mike. It has been proven that when you are mentally stressed, physical exertion is very hard to perform unless one is driven by other extremes (external situations to your own sphere of influence).

When I feel that way - I look at one small task (not project) and work on that one task - it doesn't matter if I finish that task - just the fact that I did something is enough to complete it. I hate not finishing a task once I start it.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I guess the truth be told, sometimes the mind says, "let's go and do it" but the body says, "NO".
Age does take a toll.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Mike, My situation is different from yours in terms of ultimate motivation. I am an artist using wood furniture as my medium. My two main motivations are the mortgage and creating as an artist. I make a meager, but growing, living as a furniture maker/artist. if your woodworking is a hobby, and you make your living at something else, then your motivation is something other than to make money. Although, it may not exclude making money. So a close cousin to "motivation" is "inspiration". Some woodworkers look for inspiration as to what they make next.
I have been an artist all my life and have never wanted for inspiration. Now this is not a brag or a "nah na na nah na" It is just that "inspiration" truly comes from working. I love this quote by the artist, Chuck Close. The paraphrased version of his quote (which is actually a short article) is..." inspiration is for amatuers. Inspiration comes from getting up and going to work. The work inspires itself". This is worth looking up as I am badly paraphrasing it.
So, how does this apply to the non-professional woodworker? All I know is that as you make something, ideas come up as you go along the construction process. If you use pre-generated plans, much of the spontinaity and opportunity for "inspiration" may be lost, and all you are doing is going through a set of motions.
I don't know if you are a plans man or not. A suggestion as an excersise....pick something you know how to build or have built before. A small wall cabinet, a small table, a box etc. Then go to your shop and build it straight out of your head, with no plans. Make radical changes as you progress through construction if you think they are needed. Add to, subtract from.......all leading to discovery and inspiration..
So there you go ......DISCOVERY and INSPIRATION are your MOTIVATION to create.
neil

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Neil, that is how I work. Last year and early this year I started two sofa tables with the idea they would be a 'pair'.
After many design changes, failure to find materials I wanted, input from my wife, threatening deadline, etc., etc...

this is what they became.

attachment.php
attachment.php

That process drained me of 'inspiration'.

I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to make anything now.

This all sounds like my 9th grade art teacher-

Do SOMETHING, even if it's wrong.

Attachments

• 16939275_1232044970213367_8019960870544599513_n.jpg
    16939275_1232044970213367_8019960870544599513_n.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 367
  • ArchLegTable1.jpg
    ArchLegTable1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 362

dazart

New User
Steve
I'm extremely new to this, so for me it's learning something new. I get bored if I'm not learning.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
MIke, Looks like you have some great designs that came out of that process. I agree, the process is draining, but I get my very best work, when I work this way. My motivation is to get the best results. Since, it is my life to create the best I can, drainage is expected:) And it is obvious you NOT a plans man! Also, my belief is that creating is never time wasted.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
The beautiful thing about pen turning is that you can have a finished project in less than an hour. I don't do well with bigger stuff, I have a kitchen cabinet that needs drawers, shelves, a drawer front and a door. It has been waiting for these items for 6 months or more.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Also, my belief is that creating is never time wasted.

People keep telling me that, I'm not convinced. I need feedback, I can't create in a vacuum.

I guess what I really mean is I'm wasting my time not making something that I see as worthwhile.

Maybe I need to take a class, or teach a class or something.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, I think that you are feeling the personal demand or strain on wanting to do something bigger and better as a follow-up to your gallery showing. The stress showed on your face when I visited you during the gallery showing but I didn't want to bring that up.

I think this is a good thread for you to put it out there and get the feedback you need from others who have been there. We all have creative ideas - some act on them and some don't. You put out a big effort and now you want to top that event and you are looking for another high. It will come and more than likely from an unexpected direction.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Never thought of that. The show was a big disappointment to me, didn't get any real feedback and didn't sell much.

Lot's of "that looks nice" but not sure what that really means...

Feels more like failure than a high.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I guess what I really mean is I'm wasting my time not making something that I see as worthwhile.

That surprises me.... You strike me as a man who enjoys the journey more than the destination.

Personally, I find something worthwhile in everything I do. Especially the failures I regularly encounter. Just because something sucks doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I enjoy a challenge, I enjoy making progress, I enjoy the satisfaction of seeing a happy face when I present the final product.

I don't enjoy spinning my wheels and getting nowhere, I don't enjoy feeling like I have nothing to offer, I don't like working for a year and getting nothing for it.

I'll get past it.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Never thought of that. The show was a big disappointment to me, didn't get any real feedback and didn't sell much.

Lot's of "that looks nice" but not sure what that really means...

Feels more like failure than a high.
Mike--you will get a lot of what you just mentioned in the craft/artist world. After doing craft shows and dealing with galleries for 15 years, I realized only about 1% of those in attendance at a show are buyers and out of that 1% how many will want what you display? I found out wood does not sell in all galleries. The exposure of being at craft shows and gallery exhibits may generate sales at a later time. I have seen huge prices on woodwork--but I did not see anyone carrying it out the door. I have heard how much people pay for some of the items but I have not been on the receiving end of higher than norm prices. Now back to the question as to where you get motivation. At first for me it was a thing of proving to myself I could build and sell quality pieces. I was thrilled to supply kaleidoscope tubes to an artist belonging to the Highlands Craft Guild and those tubes were sold at the Folk Art Center near Asheville and at Moses Cone Gallery near Blowing Rock. It was a feeling of accomplishment to have met those standards and inspired me to do more and strive for even higher quality. My hat is off to those making a living at their craft. I never accomplished that but it was the most satisfying years of my life. Now my inspiration comes from my children and grandchildren that want something I did to have as a piece of their life. You have the talent Mike------it just needs the right time to set you in motion.

Jerry

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Personally, I simply enjoy being in the shop doing "something". Recently, do to some personal changes in my life that were totally unanticipated I had to sell the house and thus I have temporarily lost my shop. As a consequence I picked up an old hobby of building model wooden ships (18th century sailing ships). I find this very satisfying on a number of levels, but most importantly it satisfies my need to be doing "something".

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Personally, I simply enjoy being in the shop doing "something". Recently, do to some personal changes in my life that were totally unanticipated I had to sell the house and thus I have temporarily lost my shop. As a consequence I picked up an old hobby of building model wooden ships (18th century sailing ships). I find this very satisfying on a number of levels, but most importantly it satisfies my need to be doing "something".

Donn, I'll trade you some shop time for a little repair work on the rigging of a model ship my Dad built. Maybe throw in some golf time:D

John

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Mike, I realize I mostly make small things. You need to find a venue in ashville. Do a trial. I think you will be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS