What Kind of Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlaG

New User
Carla
OK, guys I need to draw on your many years of woodworking experience....My mother wants me to make and paint a spoon rest for her. I know certain kinds of woods should not be used in the kitchen because of bacteria growth, but I have to consider the softness of the wood, as I will be hand carving (since I lack the tools I need:crybaby2: ) Any suggestions on what type of wood to use and also what type of clear coat to put on it?? Or do any of you know of where I can purchase a plain wood spoon rest at a very reasonable price??

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would recommend using either Basswood or Butternut for the carving ease. Seeing as this is only going to hold spoons in between stirrings you could finish it with Polyurethane and wouldn't have to be concerned about porosity and any bacterial growth. Plus the poly would help to protect your painting. I have not seen, in particular, any spoon rests at stores like Michaels Craft supplies, but they do carry a lot of unfinished wooden items to be hand painted. You might call a few places like that :dontknow:

Dave:)

CarlaG

New User
Carla
Thanks Dave, that is what I was thinking, maybe basswood since it is so soft. Michaels doesn't have any spoon rests, I have already checked there, have also scoured the internet for people who carve the wooden utensil, and so far no luck there either. If I decide to get lazy and use a power tool, is a dremel the one I would need?? (I think I am starting to suffer for the dreaded WGD:drunken_s ) I have never used one, but I know they can do a variety of different things. I am concerned about hollowing out the spoon holder. I have some small gouges that will cut basswood, but not much else, if I don't find a tool that will do the job effectively, guess I will use my little set of gouges. I have carpel tunnel in my hands so bad that I have a hard time doing a lot of hand work so if a dremel will do the job, I will look into getting one of those (just an excuse to buy one, have always wanted one!!:lol: ) Anyway, thanks for your input!! Appreciate it!! Now, back to painting paddles!! :roll:

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks Dave, that is what I was thinking, maybe basswood since it is so soft. Michaels doesn't have any spoon rests, I have already checked there, have also scoured the internet for people who carve the wooden utensil, and so far no luck there either. If I decide to get lazy and use a power tool, is a dremel the one I would need?? (I think I am starting to suffer for the dreaded WGD:drunken_s ) I have never used one, but I know they can do a variety of different things. I am concerned about hollowing out the spoon holder. I have some small gouges that will cut basswood, but not much else, if I don't find a tool that will do the job effectively, guess I will use my little set of gouges. I have carpel tunnel in my hands so bad that I have a hard time doing a lot of hand work so if a dremel will do the job, I will look into getting one of those (just an excuse to buy one, have always wanted one!!:lol: ) Anyway, thanks for your input!! Appreciate it!! Now, back to painting paddles!! :roll:

You may be able to use a coarse "flap wheel" type sander in a power drill, would be nice with a flexible drive!

CarlaG

New User
Carla
Thanks Dave, never thought about that!! I am pretty sure Allen has a couple of those laying around out in the shop. (I think he suffers from WGD and also Tool Guy disease, which might actually be worst!!:lol: ) I will give it a try (after I find a hunk of basswood)!!:roll:

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks Dave, never thought about that!! I am pretty sure Allen has a couple of those laying around out in the shop. (I think he suffers from WGD and also Tool Guy disease, which might actually be worst!!:lol: ) I will give it a try (after I find a hunk of basswood)!!:roll:

There's always that flexible drive to buy; think positively:lol:

J

jeff...

Would a hunk of poplar do it? It's hardwood but still relatively soft and closed grain too. Thinking it would be good medium for painting. Experts chime in here please.

CarlaG

New User
Carla
I have some poplar laying around in the shop, I will give it a try first before I spend the money on the basswood. Thanks!!

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Hi there fellow wwer goodluck on your venture.Rockler sells a special finish just for wood products that come in contact with food.Not sure of the price never needed it.Btw Welcome to the site.Let us know how it goes sounds like a fun project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors