what kind of wood

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I thought I had already posted this. If this is a repeat I apologize.
IMG_0039.jpg

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I use a lot of ash as a secondary wood in furniture I make. This just doesn't look like ash to me. I'm going to go with some type of oak.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I'll try to attach a photo of ash. Also, if you look at the area of that board that is vertical grain there is not a single medullary ray seen. I may be wrong but with white oak I would expect to see at least one. One photo of my ash floor and a closeup:

Attachments

• IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4279.JPG
    IMG_4279.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 176

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
At first glance I side with with white oak, but looking a little longer, it looks like ash. So there you have it, by general consensus based upon your photo, ash edges out oak by a slim margin--and I'm not much help on this at all. To have in hand would allow a better identification.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Probably ash, maybe white oak, not ruling out red oak either. Maybe we can get more clarity via the introduction of a third option :)

appalachia

New User
Greg
The open pores are too long for red oak, so I’d rule that out. I definitely lean toward white oak over ash, but I’ve handled a lot more white oak than I have ash, so it could just be that bias. Is there any ray fleck on the edges? As others have said, the easiest way to determine between white oak or ash would be a smell test.

tiswritten

Tis
User
I inspected about 25,000 board feet of Ash this week...saw a thousand boards that looked just like that. Last week I inspected about 85,000 board feet of White Oak...didn't see any boards that matched. Similar, maybe but not the same. It's Ash.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS