What kind of wood is this?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am making more turtle boxes and four this way back in a corner of my shop. I think that it will be an interesting box, but I need to know what type of wood it is to put it on my Etsy.
Any guesses?
2207354A-E50B-4059-A32A-D09DB841FD7C.jpeg
2207354A-E50B-4059-A32A-D09DB841FD7C.jpeg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It’s too heavy for cherry. It was also hard to cut. I went through 2 blades for one box, and that was pushing it. And the blade didn’t burn it.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I think cherry.

Does the color change significantly if you wet it? I can’t tell from the picture if it is more tan or pink.

Another option would be to build the box and let it sun for a week or two—and if it tans a store red it’s cherry.

Oops—looks like I posted right after you responded. I bought some “southern” hickory a few months ago and it is more tan, similar to ambrosia maple (this is the best picture I have since the lumber is buried right now).

Attachments

• 2B0B493D-736A-4371-B2D4-F79051943D53.jpeg
    2B0B493D-736A-4371-B2D4-F79051943D53.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 159

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like cherry to me. The imperfections look just like ones I've seen in my pieces of cherry, including the way that knot chipped out.

tijmt

Jared
User
Here are a few pictures of my pecan slab if that helps. (Sorry the pictures are not great, but it is behind some other slabs)

It does not look like the first picture, but seemed similar after you applied the mineral spirits. This makes sense since the guy I got the pecan slab from put some oil on my slab to show it off to potential customers. Pecan definitely is hard.

I hope this helps!

IMG_2657.JPGIMG_2656.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It is amazing to me that people ask for id of wood and never post close up photos of end grain.
Anytime I'm not sure of a board the first thing I do is look at the end.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS