What Kind of Vise ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Ok I have a general purpose machine shop vise and a woodworkers vise similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-...70616&sr=8-1&keywords=woodworking+bench+vises (it is not set up on a bench yet) And my machine shop vise is mounted but really not secure as to be really used the best. (I need to set these up on a good bench)

Im not wanting to break the bank with an expensive vise but wanting to know what you guys use.I got a new spokeshave and see the need to set up a vise like yesterday.. Thanks guys!!!! This should have already been done!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I mounted my machine vise on a 2x8 and connected that to a 2x4 (or was it 2x6) screwed perpendicularly to the center of the 2x8. I can then mount it securely and easily in a wood vise attached to my bench without having to permanently attach it to a workbench since I only use it occasionally for machine work as I do mostly wood working.

If that isn't clear enough I can take a picture of the machine vise mounted in the woodworking vise. Let me know.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I set up a pipe clamp vise "twin screw" style with a chunk of 2 x 8 for the chop.
I don't have the dimensions off the top of my head but I'd guess the pipes are 12" apart and the chop is 18+" long.
Its rough but effective.

I just made a Paul Sellers style frame saw and the vise worked great for shaping the handles and cutting the mortise and tenons.
I could position the work at whatever angle made sense when using the spoke shave to shape the handles
Held the work solid enough for the M&T as well.

Like I said , not pretty but it will do what you need and not break the bank.
Quick and easy and you can pull it out if its ever in the way.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made the side vise for my bench , pics are in my gallery. Mounted an old woodworking vise on the end after I cleaned and painted it.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Probably not exactly what you are looking for but classic work holding for a spokeshave is a shaving horse. Doesn't cost much money but does cost space and time.
Another way is to use a vise to hold a wood hand screw clamp in place.

Any way you go I suggest you don't scrimp on work holding. I feel like the best money I spent in my shop was the vises I bought for my bench.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Since you already have vises you could clamp your workpiece in a bar clamp and clamp the bar in either a machinist vise or the woodworker's vise you show in the link. Photo below shows how I clamp legs for rasp and spokeshaving. The boards around the clamp are just to give more gripping surface without beating up my shopmade wood jaws.

carvingpoplarleg.jpg

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Thanks everybody! Im off for a few days ...maybe I can get shop 1/2 way straight and get something set up like I want it.!!

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Mike, many traditional wood workers use a "blacksmith vise or post vise" but if you want the really old traditional vise for a draw knife or spoke shave you need a shaving horse. There are hundreds of designs with two predominant styles; a) English version where the head is between two uprights or b) the German style with a mushroom shaped head arising from a single vertical staff arising in the middle of the bench. Just "Google" or "search" for shave horse or go to badgers.org.uk for examples of many kinds of shave horses.

Glennbear

Glenn
I mounted my machine vise on a 2x8 and connected that to a 2x4 (or was it 2x6) screwed perpendicularly to the center of the 2x8. I can then mount it securely and easily in a wood vise attached to my bench without having to permanently attach it to a workbench since I only use it occasionally for machine work as I do mostly wood working.

If that isn't clear enough I can take a picture of the machine vise mounted in the woodworking vise. Let me know.
This is exactly what I did and I consider it one of my better moves LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS