What kind of finish should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I have cut out a trivet (from oak) for my mom for Christmas. Knowing that it will have hot, maybe signifcantly hot, items put on it - what type of finish should I use on it? I'll post pictures after I finish it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would say your best bet would be a mineral oil, or pure tung oil finish. I think that anything with a varnish could melt, and a lacquer probably won't be durable enough. I look forward to more experienced thoughts, 'cause I have never been in this scenario. Good luck. Dave:)

R

rickc

clowman said:
What's a trivet? Got a picture of the unfinished work?
What? You never saw the old Star Trek episode: The Trouble With Trivets? :lol:

R

rickc

clowman said:
That's TriBBles Rick.. Tribbles...
Ah! No wonder my quadrotriticale keeps disappearing. Silly me - I thought getting rid of all of the trivets would do it! :mrgreen:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Yeap, just stick with an oil finish. No surface build finish will stand up to the heat of a hot pot.

Good Luck,

John

cskipper

Cathy
I am having major internet problems today. For those who haven't figured it out - trivets are what you put on your table or counter on which you place hot foot items. Tribbles were trouble for the starship Enterprise (at least in the old days). A trivet's function is to protect your table/counter from heat-either from serving dishes containing hot food or the actual pan (when we are having a big pot of beans or soup, sometimes we even put the pan on the trivet on the table and serve from it.)

I took pictures but realize that the cable I need to connect my camera to my computer must be in Anderson. I'll post them later today.

BobN

New User
Bob
I made some a few years back for the wife to take to work. I put a couple of coats of Linseed oil on them. Any oil finish would work.
For you guys that don't send much time in the kitchen and therefore don't know what a trivet is I will attempt to attach a picture. It's something to set a HOT pan on when you take it off the stove.

Bob

Attachments

• P1010045 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010045 (572 x 428).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS