What I've been working on lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
I've been remodeling my house for the last several months, and I pretty much finished up the bathrooms today.

I built an oak vanity and wall cabinet for one bathroom. I thought about putting a Corian top on the vanity, but the wife liked a piece of laminate I already had, so I used that instead. All I have left for the vanity is to put down the shoe moulding.

11-12-20053.JPG

11-12-20055.JPG

11-12-20054.JPG

I made a Poplar wall cabinet for the other bathroom (that has a pedestal type vanity) and painted that one white.

11-12-20059.JPG

I used Blum clip hinges, with face frame mounting plates on all the doors.

11-12-200510.JPG

I made all the raised panel doors. I plan on remodeling the kitchen next year.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Nice work, that looks terrific. I think your ready for the kitchen based on what I see here.

Monty

New User
Monty
Well done! Looks like you're ready to tackle the kitchen! :icon_thum

Did you make that mirror frame, too ? (next to the poplar cabinet)

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Thanks for the kind words fellas.

I was a professional cabinetmaker for 11 1/2 yrs, started while I was still in high school. I SURE miss cabinetmaking. I do some "side work" here and there for some former customers. The two shops I worked at, did very highend custom work, and I feel very forunate to have learned my trade while I was so young from some very old craftsman. All of the "old guys" I use to work with are dead now. But, I'll always remember what they taught me.

No matter what I do the rest of my life, I'll always consider myself a cabinetmaker. Once you get sawdust in your blood, I guess you can't get it out.

Last edited:

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
insomniac said:
Well done! Looks like you're ready to tackle the kitchen! :icon_thum

Did you make that mirror frame, too ? (next to the poplar cabinet)

No that has been there a while. I want to make something else, but it's not on my priority list right now.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Very nice work Chris! I have not even come close to attempting raised panels yet. But maybe some day in the near future!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am very impressed, even with your admittal of lots of experience. I'm with TominZebulon, I've never attempted raised panel doors yet. So I am always very impressed with the professional look they give. Great job, Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Chris,

What brand cope & stick , raised panel bits are you using? I use a set of Viper bits but I am not totally satisfied with the width of the raised panel taper. Are u using a vertical or horizontal bit?

BTW, great job on the cabinets.

Mike

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
mshel said:
Chris,

What brand cope & stick , raised panel bits are you using? I use a set of Viper bits but I am not totally satisfied with the width of the raised panel taper. Are u using a vertical or horizontal bit?

BTW, great job on the cabinets.

Mike

Mike, I have a shaper and the doors were made with Grizzly brand shaper cutters, both the rail and stile and the raised panel as well. They are pretty good for the cost.

Jay

New User
Jay
Great job on the cabinets. Experience or not that is still great work. I am inspired think I will go out and butcher some more wood.

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
DaveO and TominZebulon,

I looked at both your gallery photos, and both of you have made flat panel type doors. Neither one of you would have a problem making raised panel doors.

Go for it fellas:icon_thum

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Mike,

If it helps, I have both CMT and Infinity door sets. The CMT is a vertical panel bit and the infinity is horizontal. Both stile and reail sets do a great job but I definitely prefer the horizontal panel bit. You need a pretty tall auxillary fence to get good results with the vertical bit. You need a variable speed router for the large horizontal bit and it helps to have a bigger router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS