What is (was) this tree?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Just curious what this was. Most of the leaves under looked like those shown.

20210110_152125.jpg
20210110_152113.jpg
20210110_153000.jpg

Attachments

• 20210110_142316.jpg
    20210110_142316.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 125

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
The leaf implies a species of oak. Best way to verify if it is oak is to check for some kind of acorns around the area of the tree mixed in with the leaves. If there are no acorns of any kind it isn't oak.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The leaves resemble shag bark hickory. I have several in my woods. Although the bark is somewhat similar to my oldest tree, it is nowhere near that size/age. The shag bark has large single-lobed leaves, much larger than a pig nut or regular hickory. The nuts are smaller than either the regular or pig nut, only about an inch or so in diameter with the husk on. If you also see some small, husk segments, that would be my guess, although finding them after the squirrels got to them maybe a problem.

Last edited:

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
The leaves resemble shag bark hickory. I have several in my woods. Although the bark is somewhat similar to my oldest tree, it is nowhere near that size/age. The shag bark has large single-lobed leaves, much larger than a pig nut or regular hickory. The nuts are smaller than either the regular or pig nut, only about an inch or so in diameter with the husk on. If you also see some small, husk segments, that would be my guess, although finding them after the squirrels got to them maybe a problem.
I think you get the prize for correct ID.

Had someone from FB suggest Hickory, then also had a guy out to do some land clearing. Without asking, he referenced working around the large Hickory tree that was down.

Thinking I may cut 2 to 3, 8'-9' sections and have them milled up.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
David, you could make a small fire out of the branches you have and get an idea from the aroma of the smoke if it was hickory or not.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS