"What is This" Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
As I'm going through all my stuff I am finding things that I have no idea what they are for so I'm afraid to throw them away. I'm sure other people have the same thing happen.

What about a forum called What is This? Someone could post a picture and a description and, hopefully, someone will be able to identify it. You could also use this for posting "what kind of wood is this."

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I think that's a great idea Susan! It could be a really fun thing, as well as informative. Different magazines for old iron collectors have a page dedicated to the idea, and they are a lot of fun! Can we do that here BOD?
smile.gif
:dontknow:

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
It would be a great idea to find a way to search for a wood and then be returned pictures that we have posted using/showing that wood as well. It would help me get an idea of how different pieces of the same wood can look.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I think we already have Forums like the one proposed.

1. Hand Tools and their use. What is this? I've seen posts there for all sorts of odd things found at flea markets and yard sales.

2. Power Tools and their use. Same thing.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57100

3. Same with the Wood Forum but it's a little more hit or miss for identification. A rough guideline is attached.

Attachments

• Contrasting woods.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 124

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe that between the existing Wood/Hand Tool/Power Tool forums this is covered. I don't really see a lot of traffic being generated by a What's it forum. Although a good idea, I think it is generally covered by the existing forums. The additional advantage of the existing forums for these queries is also that for instance, though I might be able to help identify an unusual hand tool, I'm not going to be much help with wood identification or even odd power tools.

I believe we have this covered with the existing forums, but could be convinced otherwise by enough arguments to the contrary.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Unfortunately, since I don't know what the thing is I don't know whether it goes with a hand tool or a power tool. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS