What is the removable panel on the back of my Unisaw for?

tijmt

Jared
User
I am restoring a 34-350 Delta Unisaw and I noticed a panel on the back of the Unisaw in the stand connected with 2 screws. (On the parts list, it is called a plate with a part # of 1087070)

Does anyone know what this panel is for? Since this model does not have a plate between the base and the body of the saw, is it to sweep out dust if the cabinet fills up or maybe something else?

Thanks for looking!

-Jared

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
An early attempt by Delta for a dust collector attachment point. They offered a 4" round to rectangle fitting to attach to this. I don't think is was a very popular addition, so finding one now may be unobtanium.

Charley

tijmt

Jared
User
Thanks everyone! I thought that might be the case and was looking at the rectangle to 4in hose adapter below. Given the cost, I bought one to try.

That said, I wonder how effective a port would be down in the base. Older models of the saw had a floor in-between the base and the body of the saw so folks often cut in a dust port into the body.

I guess I could build a ramp to send dust down into the base and possibly put a floor under the base and see how that works

tijmt

Jared
User
@Tarhead How did the fab you did work? Did you have any issue with the port being that low in the saw? Did you make a ramp or internal baffle or anything?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
It's OK and would be better if I rigged up something extra for above the blade. I use 6" flex from the back of the saw base to a 6" mainline so it takes up some floor space behind the saw. I sealed the motor side in a plywood box and use a zero clearance throatplate 99% of the time. The bulk of the airflow for the dust collector comes through the louvered panel on the front and goes out the back so the inside stays very clean.

tijmt

Jared
User
Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future. I tried the Amazon part above and it is too big for the opening. In addition, I realized that I can't use that port if I am going to put the saw on a mobile base. I guess I will just seal it up and cut a dust port above it!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Just draw up a sketch with dimensions and have a local hvac guy break one for you ...... if you have the thing drawn, probably charge you 30-50 bucks to fab it up for you. I would use 22 ga .......... or if you need help send me a sketch of the oening size and how long is the clearance you have and which way you want it to exit out, and I can sketch it up for you if you need help.....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS