What is the best way to insulate my shop roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
My shop is fairly small (12'x28') and I want to insulate the roof before the summer heat kicks in. I don't have trusses. The 12'x16' section is made of 2x4 construction and the other 12x12 section has 2x6's. What is the best way to insulate my roof?

I can provide pictures to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for looking...

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_34931.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Itch and scratch easiest, cheapest. You can just fur down the 2x4 to flush with the 2x6 then sheetrock. B SURE YOU USE THE FOAM SPACER CHUTES so the insulation is NOT against the sheathing.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Itch and scratch easiest, cheapest. You can just fur down the 2x4 to flush with the 2x6 then sheetrock. B SURE YOU USE THE FOAM SPACER CHUTES so the insulation is NOT against the sheathing.

I forgot to mention that the two sections of the shop have a wall with a doorway cut in the wall.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
even better :} unless cost is a real issue I "wood" still fur the x4's to x6's just for the added insulation factor. I am Presuming that all the roof structure is open IE no ceiling joists, just collar ties on rafters

MikeH

New User
Mike
even better :} unless cost is a real issue I "wood" still fur the x4's to x6's just for the added insulation factor. I am Presuming that all the roof structure is open IE no ceiling joists, just collar ties on rafters

I'll post some pics tonight. I didn't design either section of the building so if it's not built very well I'm not the one that did it. I'm just trying to improve on the existing structure. :)

thsb

New User
Tim
Not a fun project necessarily but a very helpful one. I agree with skymaster about furring out the 2*4's so you can get more insulation up there. It is a relatively small cost even though an additional hassle but i think the results that you have to live with for a long time will be worth it.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Not sure of your construction scenario but here is what I did.

I bought the 4x8 sheets of foam board with the foil on one side. I attached them to the rafters with nails that have the plastic washers on them. I put the foil facing the roof. After all the sheets were attached, I went back and sealed all the joints with foil tape. So far it's worked great.

Mike

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Are you ventilating the roof w/a ridge and soffit vents? If so you need a air channel between the roof deck and the insulation. The styrofoam "trays" (don't know the correct name) can be stapled to the whole length of the deck and insulation over top.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I didn't get a chance to take pics last night. The 12x16 part of the building has the 2x4 construction, slats and a tin roof. The newer section is 12x12 and has an Ondura roof with a plywood underlayment. I eventually want to put Ondura on the older section, but I have to leave the tin for now.

IMG_8668.JPG

This is the older portion of the shop. The other part of the shop is just a 2x6 ridge board and 2x6's nailed into it.

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
AhhhhhhhhHaaaaaaaaaa a challenge it iz, hmmmmmmmm. I do agree with polyfoam sheetz now I c the construction. Does the 2 x 4 spacing happen to be close to 4' on center? rafter and purlins u have. Probably easiest is to strap/purlin the bottom and attach foam with the big plastic buttons and screws. 2' centers and 2" plus thick foam sheet.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mike, if you can swing it. the first thing I'd do is put in a WHITE ceiling. Got mine at Lowe's. You can shoot or screw it to the rafters. The light you'll gain will be amazing. Then, just buy the rolls of pink insulation and roll it between the rafters. M2CW. No charge for this!
:gar-Bi

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike, if you can swing it. the first thing I'd do is put in a WHITE ceiling. Got mine at Lowe's. You can shoot or screw it to the rafters. The light you'll gain will be amazing. Then, just buy the rolls of pink insulation and roll it between the rafters. M2CW. No charge for this!
:gar-Bi

Reggie,
What kind of material did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS