What Is It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, it's not exactly a "power" tool but I'm sure at one time it was used in conjunction with one. Got this little item out of the scrap iron box at work. Don't know what I might do with it yet but did anyone mention that I'm a hopeless scrounger?
SANY0001.JPG

woodnick

New User
Nick
IT's a steady rest for a metal lathe. Measure from the base to the center of the three rests times two and it will tell you what size lathe it fits.

Dragon

New User
David
Should be worth between $50 to $150

:elvis:WOW! Not bad fer a "dumpster" find. I'm planning on hanging on to it for now and see waht kind of use I can find for it. I sorta thought it might be for a lathe or CNC machine or something of that nature but I wasn't sure. Now that I know for sure what it is, I might be able to find a use for it. Maybe as an excuse to get a metal lathe??????:eusa_thin

DaveD

New User
Dave
Can I come dig through your scrap iron box at work?:gar-Bi I'm going to guess that someone else is throwing away good things because they hate the place/boss. That steady rest will bring $150 on EBAY and would probably cost your company $300-400 to buy new. It probably fits a 14"-16" or so lathe. Looks similar to the one I have on my 14" lathe.

Keep an eye on the scrap box. Anything you don't know what it is take home.

If you want to be a good guy go find where they run the lathes at work and see if they are missing a steady rest. Also be careful someone isn't setting you up and going to accuse you of stealing.

Only a #$%@ would throw something like that away.

Dragon

New User
David
Can I come dig through your scrap iron box at work?:gar-Bi I'm going to guess that someone else is throwing away good things because they hate the place/boss. That steady rest will bring $150 on EBAY and would probably cost your company $300-400 to buy new. It probably fits a 14"-16" or so lathe. Looks similar to the one I have on my 14" lathe.

Keep an eye on the scrap box. Anything you don't know what it is take home.

If you want to be a good guy go find where they run the lathes at work and see if they are missing a steady rest. Also be careful someone isn't setting you up and going to accuse you of stealing.

Only a #$%@ would throw something like that away.

We don't have a metal lathe at work. Like you said, [Only a #$%@ would throw something like that away.], you wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen go in the compactor or hauled off to the landfill. Most recent landfill trip was the day after Labor Day and they hauled off TWO truckloads of steel shelving. I took that day off to add to my long weekend and nobody bother to call me and let me know this was going to the dump. I was PO'ed to say the least. When I asked the boss why he did that his reply was, "Well, I need it gone and needed the room. Didn't know if you'd want it or if you were home." :dontknow::BangHead::BangHead: Morons!

I was able to confirm today that they are getting rid of a compound miter saw and a radial arm saw among other things of interest.:eek: Wanna bet on whether or not I get a shot at bringing them home? Nothing wrong with this stuff mind you, just got too many of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS