what is a piece of wood that fixes a crack called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caryncbreeef

New User
cary
Hello all, I have a piece of 2" maple I cut on my sawmill 10 years ago. it has a few cracks and I want to use those "bow tie" like fixes to hold the cracks tight. never used them before - any suggestions how, or what they are called? thanks much.

building a primitive workbench

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
You can buy an inlay kit from woodworking places like Rockler. It is a bushing that fits on a router, and is supposed to make the process fool proof...guess that means that even I could do it!

Berta

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
You can buy an inlay kit from woodworking places like Rockler. It is a bushing that fits on a router, and is supposed to make the process fool proof...guess that means that even I could do it!

Berta

They work awesome and are easy to do!

Red

woodnick

New User
Nick
Kiatt_Table_007.jpg

This table has 20 on the top and 30 on the bottom

CLetts

New User
Carl
Hello all, I have a piece of 2" maple I cut on my sawmill 10 years ago. it has a few cracks and I want to use those "bow tie" like fixes to hold the cracks tight. never used them before - any suggestions how, or what they are called? thanks much.

building a primitive workbench

don't know how long the piece of wood you're talking about is, but here's another option if it's not too long a piece. Charles Neil - How to Invisibly Repair a Crack - Invisibly Repair a Check - YouTube

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I sometimes fill in small cracks with 5 minute epoxy. Depends on the look you are after. I have one of the router template guide arrangements and it works. You need a pattern which you use to both cut out the patch and cut the recess. You remove a ring off the template guide to switch between operations. Biggest issue is the router bit is small, I think it's 1/8 inch which is nice when you are cutting out the patch but slow when you are routing out the recess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors