What I have been working on

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
These are some projects I have been working on. Finally got batteries and flash card in the camera at the same time.

First is the Chris Schwartz tradition saw bench. Not electrons were murdered making this project.
P1010449.JPG

View image in gallery

This is the first time draw boring and using wedged tenons.

What I did right.
Face jointed the legs from 2 pieces of SYP. I was really happy with myself
Draw boring, some of the joints were so tight, I didn't bother with glue.
I hand cut all the 10° bevels on the legs.
I though I did a decent job of planning and laying out the boards

What I did wrong.
I'm still a mess cutting tenons (and mortises. They were way too loose and I had to come up with this diagonal wedge around to fill it out,
Mounting the top to the legs was a mini disaster. Schwartz doesn't really tell you how to do this and nothing seemed to fit or clamp together very well.
Cutting the front fork didn't turn out all that great either. I was getting impatient and just drew the curves by hand.
The legs aren't quite flush with the top.

I really like this bench. I've already started making another. Talking to 02blues about making this, is that these are just too handy. I just ripped one of the leg pieces on it and I could have gone more than 1/32" off the mark. Once I get another, this may become trade bait.

Next, marking gauge. When I first signed on, eyekode sent me a link to this and I was intrigued. The picture's a bit crumby and does look as good as it really looks. I only killed some electrons to grind the pin.

What I did right.
I didn't have 5/4 stock s glued 2 pieces of walnut together from the same board. It was really difficult to find the glue line nad looked like one piece.
I had to saw a 1/4" off the face to get it to size. I was really happy with how that turned out
I really took a lot of time marking out the mortises and learned to leave a little extra wood and planed away the marking lines.
Although the mortises still aren't pretty, I didn't tear out and most of the ugly is hidden on the inside.
I was really happy with the way I milled the beam. Kept it parallel and slowly shaved it off until it fit nicely

What I did wrong.

I wasn't happy with the curved part. Also started getting careless at the end.

All and all I like this. I want to try Salem's 2.0 gauge, but just wanted to finish. It marks well on pine, but not great on hardwood. I'm going to give this to a guy at work who helped me scrap some oak from a pallet. I doesn't WW, but I think he will get a kick out of it.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Cool stuff! I could really use some decent saw horses but they would need to be foldable. And the marking gauge looks good! My first was terribly sloppy on the angled mortise. My second I am really happy with :).

And if you need hardwood scraps I have plenty, swing on by :)
Salem

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cool....:icon_thum These are very useful shop projects and are a great way to sharpen skills.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Projects look good! Keep in mind that these are functional projects, so if they are functional but not perfect it's not a problem. These are the type of projects to practice and hone skills so you'll be ready when you make that highboy!

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Thanks guys.

Salem, I may take you up on that. I'm working with a cherry base and am looking for a good contrast wood. I don't think I quite have the right proportions to use the walnut.

I found the marking gauge project was just a great exercise in marking itself. I was extremely careful to carry the lines over to the back side. Carving out a nearly 2" deep mortise was pretty intimidating too. Luckily, I have a 1/4" mortising chisel. Still have to work on keeping the sides clean.

The guy at worked got a kick out of it. He was shocked that I could make something like that with just hand tools.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Bryan,
I like maple with cherry. I have some soft maple shorts (~48") and you could have a board or two if you want.
Salem

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Salem,
That would be great. I wish I had something to offer. How about a big bag of SYP shavings?:gar-La;
If you want PM me. I live a couple of miles up from the Apex Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors