What equipment should I keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I am going to start focusing on turning and related work. So the question is which tools should I keep and which should I sell. I'll be doing both spindle and bowl. I might want to try segmented bowls too. I am already a half decent turner, emphasis on the half:rolleyes:. So here is a partial list of power tools that aren't really required for most? Turning. But Should certain things be kept because they will be useful

10" 3 hp Tablesaw 50" to the right of blade
16" bandsaw
10" bandsaw
8" jointer
oscilatting spindle sander
combo disc and belt sander
13" lunchbox planer
most of my hand held routers
large router table
Drill press with 6" stroke variable speec

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Absolutely need a bandsaw, bigger is better. May want the small bandsaw to set up with very small blade.

Drill press for sure.

The rest of those only if you intend to do segmented pieces.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, since the majority of your sanding will be done on the lathe - you may not need the sanding equipment but, if I had those two sanders - I would think very seriously about keeping the combo sander. I have both a small bandsaw and a 14 inch and I use them both for cutting turning stock down to the size needed. I have a small drill press and there are times I wished I had a larger one. I just recently gave away my router table, routers and large bits to another member of our website (I hadn't used them in over 8 years).

I don't have the others you list, so I will let others have their say on those.

Good luck.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I end up using my disc/belt sander from time to time on turning projects. Otherwise I concur with Mike.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Assuming I wanted to segmented turning, do I need a table saw , jointer and planer. If so what would I be using them for. sorry for a bit slow here.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am going to start focusing on turning and related work. So the question is which tools should I keep and which should I sell. I'll be doing both spindle and bowl. I might want to try segmented bowls too. I am already a half decent turner, emphasis on the half:rolleyes:. So here is a partial list of power tools that aren't really required for most? Turning. But Should certain things be kept because they will be useful

10" 3 hp Tablesaw 50" to the right of blade
16" bandsaw
10" bandsaw
8" jointer
oscilatting spindle sander
combo disc and belt sander
13" lunchbox planer
large router table
Drill press with 6" stroke variable speec

The combo sander and drill press can be used for more than woodworking, especially if you do your own yard work, equipment repair, and home repair. The sander may come in handy for sharpening tools.

The small band saw and some sort of table saw may come in handy for making jigs, etc for your turning stuff, altho a 3hp TS will be overkill..

The spindle sander can be replaced with a drum sanding attachment for the drill press if needed at all.

Jointer and planer not necessary if mainly doing lathe work, although the planer may come in handy for getting identical thickness for segment material.

If you keep more than a small hand held router, than the table would be a good addition to keep.

JMTCW

Go

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Assuming I wanted to segmented turning, do I need a table saw , jointer and planer. If so what would I be using them for. sorry for a bit slow here.

Steve

I believe Charlie would be considered a resident expert when it comes to segmented turning. I do know that he uses his table saw and sanders, coupled with several sleds/jigs to precisely cut segments at very precise angles prior to glueup and turning. So in addition to cutting on the TS, I would imagine jointing and planing stock would be a requirement.

Wayne

(It does seem like a shame to have to dispose of you nice gear especially after all the hours you spent sourcing good quality gear and setting it all up. Just trying to talk you out of it! :))

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Just an opinion

Interests often change over time.

I started serious,woodworking with turning first then drifted to furniture. I realized that after turning several hundred bowls, drifting through segmented, natural edge .......what do I do with all of these bowls and I was really bored of turning. I never had an interest in pens and other kit type products as they are more of a challenge to assemble as opposed to turning which is relatively simple.

If you sell your equipment at a fraction of the purchase price you may find yourself acquiring the same pieces of equipment again if you bore easily. Unless you are moving or downsizing, I would retain these a couple of years and decide if the switch is something you are happy with. You can always sell them later and tools are like cars, they drop 25-30 % as soon as you use it first, then maintain for years unless they are abused. I use the approach that I sell tools only if I make an upgrade to something better or a new item that catches my attention.

I am a member of PTWA and most of the guys only turn and are very happy so it depends upon the person.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Check out Frank Howarth on youtube. He has several videos of non-tradional (in my opinion) segmented turnings, and he shows step by step how he sized the stock, built a pattern, cut segments with the pattern built in, etc. He seems to use a 20" disk sander a lot to flatten bowl parts. I would say a table saw and sled is a must for segmented turning, and the jointer and planer would be useful for sizing the stock.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Steve,
Before you sell anything, lets set a time/date so you can visit my shop and I will go over my process for doing a segmented turning.

If you plan to do segmented turning, keep the following:

10" 3 hp Tablesaw 50" to the right of blade: Use for milling stock to proper width. Use to cut segments on a sled.
16" bandsaw: Use to resaw stock thinner.
10" bandsaw
8" jointer: Use to prepare rough stock to straight milled stock.
combo disc and belt sander: Use to sand pieces for feature rings, etc.
13" lunchbox planer: Use to prepare rough stock to straight milled stock.
large router table: Use to add diamonds, etc to feature rings.
Drill press with 6" stroke variable speed: Many, many uses.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Steve,
Before you sell anything, lets set a time/date so you can visit my shop and I will go over my process for doing a segmented turning.

10" 3 hp Tablesaw 50" to the right of blade: Use for milling stock to proper width. Use to cut segments on a sled.
10" bandsaw
So in other words you need it all then :rolleyes:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
As with anything, you can do with less, but it's more difficult.
The most important part of segmented turning is the same as with any woodworking project. You must start with straight and properly machined/sized wood.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
What is this "sell my equipment" you speak of? As an experienced hoarder I don't know what this means. On a serious note, I am am a long time woodworker but a fairly new turner. Even if I lost interest in the flat work I'm sure there would be repairs to be made on existing pieces, projects would arise that I didn't anticipate, might even need pieces to display the turnings on. Just don't do anything too hasty. If you do decide to sell stuff you also might keep a router in case you want to do any longitudinal fluting. Of course you would need a jig for that and would need your equipment to make it!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve,

10" bandsaw
i definitely want to take you up on that offer. Tell me when. Let's use pm for the rest of this.

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
i definitely want to take you up on that offer. Tell me when. Let's use pm for the rest of this.

I've taken Charlie's segmented turning class and I think you should definitely take him up on his offer, you'll end up keeping your tools, I think.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Are you in a hurry to clear it all out? Personally, I would just keep it all for the time being and delve into all sorts of turning. After youve done that for a period of time , long enough to determine what tools work best for what and what you may or may not want to concentrate on, sell off what you dont need.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Are you in a hurry to clear it all out? Personally, I would just keep it all for the time being and delve into all sorts of turning. After youve done that for a period of time , long enough to determine what tools work best for what and what you may or may not want to concentrate on, sell off what you dont need.
This (points up).

Find out what works for you THEN decide to get rid of what you don't use/want.

-Mark

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was hoping Charlie would chime in on this. He has a lot of extremely useful methods in his segmented turning involving a lot of different equipment. His results prove the usefulness of all of them. You won't go wrong working with him to decide what are the best methods and equipment for you to use.

You can make due without some things, but if you're like me, whatever makes the job easier is worth having.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Steve, as I recall your shop is pretty well filled up and space is tight. Downsizing some of those larger tools might be a good option. A smaller table saw could work for you. The 16" bandsaw could go. A 6" jointer could replace the 8". Likewise a smaller router table. Might let you get that lathe out where you can use it more easily. Some strategic trades might let you downsize without having to buy new replacements and keep a lot of functionality.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, as I recall your shop is pretty well filled up and space is tight. Downsizing some of those larger tools might be a good option. A smaller table saw could work for you. The 16" bandsaw could go. A 6" jointer could replace the 8". Likewise a smaller router table. Might let you get that lathe out where you can use it more easily. Some strategic trades might let you downsize without having to buy new replacements and keep a lot of functionality.
Jim, you definitely understand part of my problem. Doing anything in my shop has become a major problem. As this summer illustrated, I wasn't really enjoying doing most things in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS