What Do I Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
First off, I'm a total 'Turning' newbie. Bought an infamous HF 34706 before Christmas and am going to take my first turning class (Basic Turning 101 at Woodcraft) the first of Feb. I have a basic tool set and will be taking a followup sharpening class at Woodcraft also. Starting with pens, what do I need besides wood to make pens. I know I need mandrels for the various size pens (7mm, 10mm, etc), a drilling jig/vise/guide, a press, barrel trimmers for the varous sizes, and what ever else. No need to tie up bandwidth here but if you want to go ahead. I am asking (replies here or via PM) what is the minimum beginning list of tools needed, brand recommendations, size recommendations, and recommendations of anything I didn't mention above. Is there a package available that will include the above at a reduced (package) price? I think that I am only talking the basic tooling here as I know that you can buy (and have to buy) the correct tube sizes and hardware kits individually for whichever pen you are making. I have found all sorts of individual tutorials on the web and various forums concerning individual aspects of pen turning, but nothing that gives me an overview of the basic needs. Finally, I am not financially independant so price is a small part of the process.

George

cskipper

Cathy
If Woodcraft's mandrels etc. will fit they sell a "starters" package which includes the mandrel, bushings for a 7mm pen, 5 slimline kits, blanks, high friction polish and other stuff I don't remember. Most folks (me included) seem to start with the 7mm. Don't worry about the mandrels and bushings for other sizes right now. You said that you already had the tools, didn't you?You need a lathe chuck, drill chuck, life and dead centers, mandrel, bushings, pen kits, whatever you're going to use for finishing. There are at least two general types so see what they teach you and decide if you like it or not. It's easy to buy more than you really need - which is enough in itself!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
George, I have just went through this process. So I'll try to list my recommendations.

For bare bone tooling, I guess all you really need is a mandrel, drill bit, pen kit, CA Glue, and Micromesh. I'd almost say having a barrel trimmer is required. It's too hard to get the ends of the pen square to the tube otherwise. Penn State Industries also sells starter packages, but I haven't looked into them very much.

For a mandrel I'd recommend the adjustable one that PSI sells.
It is the Maxi Mandrel. It comes in #1 and #2 morse taper - $17.95
That mandrel also comes with a drill bit and bushings to make 7mm slimline pens. Items numbers are #PKM-ELC (#1 morse taper) and #PKM-FLC (#2 morse taper)

For the barrel trimmer. Again, the trimmer PSI sells is a universal trimmer, and will work for several types of pens - $35.95. That item number is #PKTRIMKIT. You can go for a single 7mm trimmer for $16.50 (Item number #PKTRIM7)

You can make your own jig for drilling, so no need to buy one.
You don't need a pen press, but they sure are nice to use. PSI sells a nice one. Item number #PENPRESS2 - $39.95

You will definately need some MicroMesh, be sure you get all 9 grits.
You will need some CA Glue, Definately need Medium, and likely Thin, and thick as you work. All of this you can get from Woodturningz.com.

I wouldn't buy anything directly from Penn State Industries. Instead, I'd buy them from Woodturningz.com, they are a reseller of PSI Stuff at a discount. They dont' list everything on their website, so you do have to call and talk to them. Their site is listed here. Just call them and tell them the PSI Item numbers and they will tell you how much it is from them. You can see all that Penn State Industries sells at their web site, and look up the items I have listed.

Arizonia Silhouette has about the best pen kit prices I have found.

I hope this helps, Have I missed anything?

Big Mike

New User
Mike
The only thing I will add to the comprehensive list that is provided by Clay and Cathy is that I prefer polyurethane glue over CA as some people develop a sensitivity to the fumes. I also have never had a blank come loose from the tube with poly glue. It is a little messy but it remains somewhat resilient and will contract and expand with the wood and tube which have dissimilar expansion/contraction rates.

My first starter kit was a package I bought from Penn State. All of the components were fine but later on I bought better mandrels and kits from Craft Supplies. No better place to get your sandpaper than the bins at Klingspor where you can get bag fulls of cloth backed paper for a song, tear it into little strips and discard it after a pen or two. Cathy is right about the micromesh if you want a flawless sanding job. I have always used my woodworking vise as my assembly tool. You absolutely need a barrel trimmer. Unsightly gaps if you don't square your blanks and tubes.

As far as turning tools I like to rough with a 1/2" forged continental pattern gouge, refine the shape with a 1/2" skew sharpened at about a 60 degree angle and cut my tenons with a Sorby mid sized 1/8" parting tool.

Bram

New User
Bram
Thanks for the info on woodturningz.com, their prices are the best I have seen, in fifteen minutes or less you saved me $$... ..Bram :-D :-D :-D :-D

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Great.. you can mail me a check :icon_thum:rolf::rolf:

Seriously, that's one of the things this web site is all about. Giving out the deals, and where to buy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS