What did you do in the shop this weekend?

davesc2

New User
Dave
Well, I sat in my shop and did lots of rearranging of what's on my shelves. Trying to get rid of my biggest shelving unit to make room for a workbench and then did some planning for more useable shelving units or possibly adding shelves between the existing shelves to fit more of the tons of small stuff I have.

Also did a fair amount of reading here and watching linked youtube vids.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Finished a CD holder for our son & DIL in Detroit. The project started from these photos (both edited):
B513D428-A63A-403A-83B7-AC8EF5414629.jpeg

99E305B9-7A70-4E37-8AEA-4B78E475179B.jpeg

He wanted oak looking with a water-resistant top. The day I went to The Hardwood Store for 1/2” oak ply, they were out. So, I got 1/4” and laminated for the carcase. Used black marbly self-stick tiles for the top.
19BB00BB-D4DD-49C2-A961-727275F30A73.jpeg

2B1413B1-FA7D-48D2-A025-B62E75BFABC3.jpeg

Since their sill is ceramic tile, I was thinking LokTite PL3 polyurethane construction adhesive to attach the unit (the top overhangs in the back the depth of the sill). Is there a better adhesive?

Also thinking of shipping by Greyhound.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Figured out how I will install my new dust collector. Prepped material for 6 cutting boards. Worked on my Grill cart. Started relabeling all my 4x4 plastic hardware bins.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Picnic'd this weekend!

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Finally got the last rub on the top and its ready to move into the house to replace an old one. For the same size footprint I went from 7 cubic feet of interior drawer space to nine cubic feet. Its pretty boxy and plain but the extra storage space is wonderful. I used up about 75 board feet of good walnut.

1    achest - 1.jpg

Trey1984

Trey
User
Finally got the last rub on the top and its ready to move into the house to replace an old one. For the same size footprint I went from 7 cubic feet of interior drawer space to nine cubic feet. Its pretty boxy and plain but the extra storage space is wonderful. I used up about 75 board feet of good walnut.

View attachment 210775
Beautiful work... I really like the beading on the drawer fronts.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Thanks for the kind words. I started that on March 22 and have over 220 hours in it. Each day in the shop I would make a little progress. I produced well over 120 gallons of planer and jointer shavings. I had originally planned for bracket feet but my wife vetoed that very quickly because she didn't want to go looking for stuff that rolled under the cabinet.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Was out of town for much of the weekend, but found time today to use some of my moulding planes. Here's a few pics from making the moulding that will go on the top of a spice box. The wood is air-dried walnut. These planes leave behind a super smooth, polished finish without any sanding.

View attachment 204254 View attachment 204256
Now that is some nice looking work. Keeping the old methods alive.

Kelly

Kelly
User
Working on a roll top desk for my niece . She graduated college in 4 years, unusual these days. She I’d off to graduate school and wants a desk, specifically a roll top.
Walnut, with one special panel of salted maple.

Attachments

• 55D31391-A2C6-451B-B2CF-F617FF680212.jpeg
    55D31391-A2C6-451B-B2CF-F617FF680212.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 97
  • 4C95824F-2BED-42E0-B3F1-54AA149B88D8.jpeg
    4C95824F-2BED-42E0-B3F1-54AA149B88D8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 106

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That's some beautiful walnut. Jaw-dropping beautiful. I can only imagine what it is going to look like once the finish gets on.

Kelly

Kelly
User
I got the walnut at the Hardwood Store. He had a full tree trunk sawed into 5/4 and sanded to 1”. It was about 90 bd ft. I was amazed at the yield, probably 85% usable, really. Curly Walnut. I felt like I had found the Unicorn.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS