What am I supposed to do with this...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Corporate Member
It always gives me a bit of emotional connection to do something like that. Also, I tend to enjoy it more when I use it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Corporate Member
It's always amazing to me to see how well designed these old machines are that they withstand the ravages of time and use. I doubt you would see very little difference in a new machine bought today along those lines. Of course, getting into CNC is another breed of cat, but even that is simply a souped up version of what you see here.
I once read a story about American POWs in Japan that made a hand held fully working miniature metal lathe while in camp. That required some dedication and patience given the limited resources they would have had.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
If nothing else it's given me an appreciation for my set of drift pins that I've had a long time and seldom used...

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Staff member
Corporate Member
Quite a difference from what you brought home on the trailer. Nice work. I've enjoyed seeing the process and pics.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Ferrules... Plane parts.. Screws, etc. Who knows what else. At this point it's just something to play with.

My oldest son collects.. of all things...Ping golf putters. He has expressed a desire to make his own so I'm thinking a mill is in our future. With both those machines he'll be in business. I told him he could have a corner in the shop.

Wow, that thing is a beast! Nice job restoring it.

What will you use it for?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Finally got it mated back together and in the shop. I didn't think about that when I put it back together on the bench. Thank goodness for an engine hoist and my boys.

I had my electrician look over the wiring and he said all looks ok. Need to change the plug, install the belts and hopefully fire it up.

20201114_161547.jpg

It's come a long way...

20200627_132412.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nice restoration of what would be a very expensive lathe these days.
What Mike says is true. It will seem that every time you try to do a little project, you'll have to buy something else. That will be true for a while but there will come the time when you do a job on the lathe and don't have to buy anything because you'll already have all you need.

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
Wow, what a thorough restoration of that rusty old Sheldon metal lathe. It just needs some cutting oil and metal turnings on it to look fully restored.

BTW, I like the golf cart outside the shop too!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice job on the restoration. I trained as a machinist but had to stop school when our second child came along. Money was tight and I had to work overtime to pay doctors bills. Beginning machinists only made about $5 an hour then and I was making $7 as a screen printer. So, maybe it wouldnt have worked out anyway. But I learned a lot and it carries over into much that I do now so I don’t regret the time in school.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS