What’s keeping you?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got ideas foggin up my glasses. But I can’t seem to get them in the works. My space is too small/overcrowded and my time is too short and I have a hundred other things that need to be done.

So, how do you do it? How do you make time to make things?

What gets in your way and how do you get over or around it?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
believe it or not, since retiring I’ve started using an app to keep me organized.

When I was working I didn’t have much discretionary time. Now that I do I find it helpful to keep my near term, long term and back burner priorities straight.
What app? That may be helpful.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Each night, I make a to do list for the next day. By ten AM, I'm marking off things that aren't going to happen that day. You know that saying,"The best laid plans of men and mice goes PBBBTTT!" (Being polite!)

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
What app? That may be helpful.
Notion. I just use the free version. There are people online who make it all consuming but I just keep it simple.

My experience has been it’s one of those apps that is so flexible it can be intimidating until you settle on the set of features you will actually use.

Echd

C
User
Probably some sort of mental block. Once I start I'll probably finish a project, but I'll sit there and overthink it for days or weeks before carrying out my original plan.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I got ideas foggin up my glasses. But I can’t seem to get them in the works. My space is too small/overcrowded and my time is too short and I have a hundred other things that need to be done.

So, how do you do it? How do you make time to make things?

What gets in your way and how do you get over or around it?
Time isn't my issue. Space? I can work with what I have. Money for materials and tools is a big road block. And lack of knowledge and skills.

I keep reading here and keep learning.

There's 7 days in a week and "someday" isn't one of them.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I’m old school and use a leather bound journal for all my woodworking related stuff. I keep my to do list and sketches for all my projects in it. It sits on my desk in my shop. +1 for retiring….it is pretty awesome:)

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
What works for me are two venues: file folders and a Word file.
Two file folders, one marked 'completed projects' that holds the drawings and notes made during the build. The second file folder is simply labeled 'projects'. That holds my ideas sketches and notes for processes.

On the computer, a Word file with three sections: Working, Shopping, and Completed. After a listed task is completed, I'll draw a line through it and move it down to the Completed list. It's nice to look back on a list of accomplishments, large and small. Sometimes I'll date the completed task if large enough.

OldManK

New User
Kyle
I'm with you with no shortage of ideas, but I really struggle with projects feeling too overwhelming or daunting, so I try and break them up into manageable "work packages" that I can do incrementally.

That looks like a project plan (in notion, word, excel, google doc, note on my phone) with distinct buckets of work.

Then to motivate myself I'll actually schedule time to do them on the calendar or on an app/plan. (e.g. Thursday night I'm going to mill the lumber for the table top so it can sit before shaping/assembly this weekend). That makes me look forward to doing it, rather than feeling overwhelmed. Also helps make sure the space is ready for those tasks and I can get into a "flow" state instead of being frustrated/blocked by something. The smaller chunks also help me build momentum and get into that flow.

Also am not retired so this helps me fit things into a pretty busy schedule.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
What works for me are two venues: file folders and a Word file.
Two file folders, one marked 'completed projects' that holds the drawings and notes made during the build. The second file folder is simply labeled 'projects'. That holds my ideas sketches and notes for processes.

On the computer, a Word file with three sections: Working, Shopping, and Completed. After a listed task is completed, I'll draw a line through it and move it down to the Completed list. It's nice to look back on a list of accomplishments, large and small. Sometimes I'll date the completed task if large enough.
Not to push Notion, but if you imagine what you just described as being all in one place and available on your phone or other device whenever the need / thought arises, that’s what I’m doing.

I agree the “completed” column is very satisfying, and the shop supplies/materials check list is very useful.
Kind of started as a whiteboard in my pocket, and has evolved from there.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS