Went to Lowes the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A couple of weeks back, I went to Lowes and bought a couple of sheets of birch plywood that was made in Canada. This stuff was 3/4" thick (0.750). What are those Canadians thinking, everybody knows that 3/4 ply is supposed to be less than 0.750. What idiots- making something that is the size it is advertised to be. Also noticed that Lowes is carring Chineese Ply with birch face in both 1/2 and 3/4. They are also carring ARRUCO (sp?) in AC ext. that is multiply (about 11 plies) A face is nice. This is ply that Norm used on program on building roll around shop table and clamp cart. I used it as a base for counter top that I had to deliver and set on second floor by myself. Bought a couple morre sheets to redo counters in my rental house. Very few voids in inner plys.

J

jeff...

WOW someone had a good experience at Lowes. Hell froze over and the cubs won the world series... I'm so anti-Lowes, I really should shut up now, before I get myself in trouble.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I was in Lowes the other day to pick up some sheets goods for some jigs and other work site stuff... they didn't have anything I could use. Which Lowes has this terrific plywood? I'd like to visit that one.

Ray

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Picked up the 3/4 birch at Apex Lowes. Cary store on Walnut street has other plys mentioned, didn't check birch there though. New store in Pittsboro also has the plys.

Travis

New User
Travis
Is the ply made in China good stuff. The fellow at Catawba hardwoods tells me that cabinet makers are consuming a lot of it. I think it was at least a 1/3 less than the other comparable sheets.

Monty

New User
Monty
Travis, I have used quite a bit of that "chinese birch" in my shop cabinet projects. I have always been satisfied with it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Is the ply made in China good stuff. The fellow at Catawba hardwoods tells me that cabinet makers are consuming a lot of it. I think it was at least a 1/3 less than the other comparable sheets.
Before my local plywood distributor went out of business, he handled this product for a couple of years. Last summer built some cabinets for Soybean Assoc. using this ply from HD. Was labeled popular, but in Cary store it was birch, even though labeled popular. Horizon Forest products is the local distributor for this wood. Last summer, they had a bunch of it to delaminate. Made a bunch of shops unhappy! Personally, I have had no problems with it. The core plys are more greater in number, but made from a softer grade of wood than domestic ply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors