Well, its IN the shop.......

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wooden vise screws would be a neat application, but I'm not sure how you'd do the inside spiral for the receiver. But maybe I just have no imagination. Wonder how Lake Erie does it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Simply make the screw on the lathe and use the screw to create (cut the threads) the nut (putting a cutting tool of the correct shape into the helix)

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Wow, that's a beast, already assembled and delivered on a pallet jack too. What does it weigh? Just curious. I couldn't find it in the Laguna CNC router lathes and it's probably an older model.
Its about 1200# Laguna still makes several versions of it, they call it the Laguna Turner.

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Laguna will also make you a machine more or less custom.... ours is 98" in length with 24" diameter turn capability. We also have a 4th axis that sits on our large 5x12 Techno machine with a 10' length by 20" diameter. So these kinds of machine are available from many makers. Size and weight can be made to order for most makers.... in reality stock deflection is the enemy of maximum length. Square you stock today for milling tomorrow and I'd almost guarantee it want be straight and parallel the next day and yes if you oversize the material you can always compensate just be sure to not make exacting measurements if the material is to be used a day or more in the future.

We use Rhinoceros for our Cad package and Rhinocam for our Cam Package and we typically make bed post including the mortises in one piece materials either natural or laminated. Aspire will work for most common things but the more complicated the project the more needs in your Cam Package... (we do own a license of Aspire)

Attachments

• CNC Lathe CLUP 5273.jpg
    CNC Lathe CLUP 5273.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 227
  • CNC Lathe 5271.jpg
    CNC Lathe 5271.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Bed Post A20.png
    Bed Post A20.png
    972.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Antique Cradle Wire Frame.png
    Antique Cradle Wire Frame.png
    588.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

skyline933

Jim
Corporate Member
I'd like to spend an afternoon making some of those "do nothing" parts. And being able to "wrap" a design like that vertical florish around the cylindrical object. Lots of maths going on there.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I'd like to spend an afternoon making some of those "do nothing" parts. And being able to "wrap" a design like that vertical florish around the cylindrical object. Lots of maths going on there.
Me too Jim! one of these days when the paying work stops!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS