Wedding Wine & Advice Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
This is a Wedding Wine Advice Well Wishes Box that I made for my son and his bride.

The box has a coopered lid which has a slot cut in it for wedding guests to write notes to the newlyweds. The box is made of purpleheart (her favorite color and the main color of the wedding), and is constructed with box joints. The coopered lid is made of maple with purpleheart strips (I ran out of the bright purple purpleheart lumber and could not source anymore that matched). The box has a cradle to hold a bottle of the couples favorite wine, and also has a lock. I also routed a design on the front of the box.

After the reception, I locked it and gave it to them. On their one year anniversary, I gave them the key, they opened the box, and drank the wine, while reading all the notes that the guests put into the box. All in all, I’m happy with the project.

One word of advice if you attempt a coopered lid box. MAKE THE LID FIRST, then make the box to the dimensions of the lid. I really struggled by making the box first, then trying to cooper the lid to that exact dimension.

2dbab39a8eb1c3e4e1e5c10e51037608.jpg
1bc1aec133fc98c604184fd496145f03.jpg
The box is actually useless now, but hopefully they give it away to a soon to be married couple so they can do the same with it. And on and on and on. Who knows where my box will end up, but hopefully it continues on in it’s intended purpose, and not tucked away in someone’s attic, or worse, thrown in the firepit. Expensive little box, especially the Brusso hinges and the lock. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Wow, what a great gift. Next time, make the box as a complete closed unit. Sides, top, bottom; all at once. Then, cut the top off the box, ensuring the top and bottom are exactly the same size. Works every time.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, that box is not useless now - get the box back from them. Route out a spot on the bottom and attach a small plaque with their names and marriage date - keep it small so there is more room on the bottom for more plaques. Hopefully, they will make it a family heirloom.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
A great idea and a beautiful gift. I bet they won't give it to another couple. They'll keep it in an honored place in their home and tell stories about it for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS