Webmasters, admins & site programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Over a period of time, I have tried many things to get people to take on some of these type of responsibilties. They all take some level of learning, but they also take a willingness to put in the time. A recognition that some things must be done, no matter what.

We have a few people, who learned what to do.. But most of these have simply slowly disappeared from the duties and/or the site. Almost everyone has very good personal reasons for doing so, so I don't fault then.

BUT, the tasks must be done or the site slowly (or some cases immediately) just stops running. An example was yesterday's start of the calendar contest. There were some nasty technical issues. To solve them, required a knowledge of how PhotoPost works and then finding what behavioral changes were made by PhotoPost in contest mode in the last update that we applied.

I had to do all that quickly. I couldn't wait or we could have poisoned the whole voting process.

Anyway, here is the bottom line, We MUST find other people to do these things. Sometimes it is hard to define the differences in the positions becuase they have the same basic requirements.

If we can get enough people to fill these positions will the right skill sets or at least a willingness to learn the skills, then the work load is not bad at all. But when it is heaped mostly on one person, then it can be all consuming.

Webmaster - Basically the CEO of the website, oversees everything. Would not have TO DO everything just decide what needs to be done and the other staff members to do it.

Asst. Webmaster - Webmaster in training and helps the webmaster in their duties. Steps in and takes over in the advent that the webmaster is not avilable.

Admins - General - Basically hows to do most things with the site. Responds to users and/or other staff members to fix issues/ answers question and make improvements, etc.

Site Programmers - maintains and enhances our code base as necessary.

It is may intention to resign my position as Webmaster soon, whether or not the people are in place or not. I am burned out.

There is some overlap between the admins and Site Programmers.

I will hold hands on training, or whatever is necessary to help people to get up to speed. If you live near, I'll come to you, but these positions must be filled, and soon, with people who are willing to learn, and willing to take on the responsibilities and willing to stick with for a reasonable amount of time.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Hi Steve,

I took a look at the specs for vBulletin. I work with asp.net and MS SQL Server not PHP and MYSql. I do some occasional javascript and of course css. I haven't looked at a Unix box since the 1980's. :mrgreen:

If it sounds like any of that might translate over to your needs, I could probably help out. Let me know what you think.

Bill

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Steve:

I hope this generates some needed assistance. While I am more than willing to help out in many ways, this is one area where I have no skills or knowledge.:dontknow::dontknow: Hopefully, I can help carry other parts of the load.

Doug

sapwood

New User
Roger
Steve,
Certainly hope this results in the needed support.
As Doug stated, I wish I had more to offer :cool:

Although it would be sorely missed . . . we could survive without NCWWer. However, we want Steve Coles at full strength :icon_thum:icon_thum
So take care.

Your friend,
Roger

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm willing and somewhat able to offer myself up for site programming.

I got a good bit of scripting and sysadmin experience.

As long as you don't have a bug free code policy :)

Jim

sawduster

New User
Robert
Wish I knew how to help with this . Heaven knows it would be difficult to survive without this site, but Steve, your survival is much more vital !

As a computer geek I make a great brain surgeon :gar-La;

I'm willing to help but can't do much with this :sad11:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I'm a hobbyist web programmer (ASP, VBscript, HTML, CSS, SQL). I'm also a SW/HW test manager, so at very least I can test froglips' code :gar-Bi. Please let me know if I can help.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Hold it, Hold it. I guess you didn't understand what I meant. So let me back track.

First, I'm not leaving.

www.ncwoodworker.net is a website operated by North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. a non-profit corporation. I and the future Board of Directors of NCWWI are in the process of organizing this whole thing. With the goal that by the end of the June 2009, the corporation and the site can exist without me or ANY single person, either technically or financially.

I am President/Treasurer of the corporation for the next 6 months of so, until the Corporate Members elect a new board of directors and they in turn will appoint new Officers. Will, I run for the Board then? Probably.

The issue is not whether or not the site will be here or the corporation. The issue is not whether I will be here, I WILL.

My only point is that other than some short periods of time, all of the detailed technical, most of the admin and most of the webmaster functions have been on my shoulders for more than 3 years.

I am burned out on that level of work. I just want some new faces to step up with a level of commitment that says I can step away a bit.

If I stopped being the webmaster tomorrow, the site would continuing operating. Most of the existing staff would take up a lot of the slack. Probably, one person or another would take up 90% the functional load. Bu they don't know the inner workings like I do, They don't have as much time as I have. In short, after a while, they would burn out and the cycle would begin a new,

The work that I have been doing MUST be spread out among more people, with more detailed knowledge of the inner workings. That way no one will have to put in large amounts of time.

So I'm not leaving, the site will not be dependent on me. As to whether, we keep the site dynamic, reasonably responsive, etc. as I believe I have kept it will depend on the people who succeed me in some of these roles. Particularly, the roles of Webmaster & site programmer.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Steve,

If I had a lot of free time and new how to program, I would be glad to help. Unfortunately, I have neither. :roll: This is a GREAT site and I hope there is someone out there that does qualify to help. If I can help out in any [STRIKE]less complicated[/STRIKE] other way, please let me know.

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

rywilson

New User
Ryan
Steve I'm more of a J2EE guy but I can definetly help out with JS,HTML,CSS
Please let know what I can do help

M

McRabbet

I am hoping that you can spend some time with several of us over the weekend of September 26 - 28th giving some hands-on lessons on AdminCP, the templates, scripts and permissions. In addition, we should talk about some delegations of some basic issues like new registrations (IMHO at least 3-4 of us should be dealing with approvals, not just the Webmaster). I plan to bring my laptop that weekend and have a wireless card in it or I can direct wire into your router. If necessary, I can stay Sunday night as well and even work with you on Monday.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have the time, I have the engergy.
however I 'm not ure if I have the skill set. Unless you were here, giving me one on one instruction. lol.
You know I would do anything to help.
Some of us do more than woodworking.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
One bit more of clarification. Already a lot of people have offered to help. Both in posts and PMs. I don't want help time to time.

We must have who willing to COMMIT to taking on a JOB. Commit to learning the skills that are necessary to do the job they have volunteered to take on. Commit to doing the job on a very regular basis and commit for at least 6 months, And finally commit to training their successor(s). If you have that willingness, then send me a PM.

Site programmer: if you have already have some knowledge of HTML and web based scripting. Then you are already 90% of the way. Learning PHP is trivial, especially since most of the work is really making small changes in exisiting scripts or html template. If you have any SOL, then MySql is a snap. We don't do anything that gets into the esoteric differences. We aren't "Data Mining" or participating in fancy replication schemes.

Admins: this is a hard to define job. It is ideal if you can do some of things that an Site programmer can do, like a little HTML, but it is not necessary. The real task is to learn a piece of software called the AdminCP. This is a control Panel that we use to control the site. It is only difficult, becuase it is badly organized and there are a few complex principles that need to be learned like permissions.

Webmaster: In would be great, if the Webmaster could do some or everything that everyone else can, but it is not necessary. The Webmaster is really the CEO of the site. The Webmaster will become a Corporate Officer appointed by the Board of Directors and reporting to the President. If we/I find a person suitable for the positon, then will probably be made the asst. Webmaster as a trial.

Now if we realyy understand what I am saying about Commitment and dedication, then send me a PM explaining what you are interested in doing and what technical skills or aptitudes that may be applicable.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, this thread has resulted in what I hope will be the type of changes we need. We had a few people already on staff, ask to move to some of the positions. And a few volunteer to become members of the staff.

All of the these changes are "trial" changes. This is to give the people a chance to learn these positions and see if they really want to do it. Also the people who were in other positions, will continue those for a while, until we decide what to do.

So without further ado:

Asst Webmasters:
DaveO
Bas
Admins:
newtowood
toolman
Site Programmer:
Froglips
Bill Mason

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . .
So without further ado:

Asst Webmasters:
DaveO
Bas
Admins:
newtowood
toolman
Site Programmer:
Froglips

We still need another site programmer. So if you are interested, please read the above post and then PM me.

Thanks folks :eusa_danc

Roger

R

rickc

Thanks to all who have stepped forward to give Steve a much needed break. I am amazed at the amount of time, expense, love, sweat and tears he has put into this site from its inception. And is "relatively" sane! :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS