Waterbourne 'Lacquer'....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So I've been using the same basic finishing schedule for awhile now and have been very happy. I start with a dilute shellac spray to seal, followed by several more spray coats of 2# shellac. After this I spray several coats of waterbourne lacquer by Target. (USL previously, now emtech I believe). I like using the 'lacquer' based on improved protection over shellac and the ability to repair easily.

My question is if the waterbourne 'lacquer' behaves similarly to real lacquer as to melting into previous coats without layering like poly. I assumed it did but now I'm not so sure since Howard made it clear that it is not a true lacquer. I haven't had to test this in repair yet but want to know just in case.
The Target site mentions 100% burn-in technology which I'm assuming refers to my question but would love confirmation from from one of the finish experts here.

Thanks!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
An expert by no means, but yes, I have used the Target Coatings PSL "WB lacquer" and it does "burn-in" - the solvent in the WB finish softens the previous coat and melts it into the new coat.

The action is different than real lacquer, but the practical results are the same: a seamless transition between successive coats.

I would recommend you experiment to satisfy yourself, e.g. spray a heavy coat on a test piece, let it dry, then sand through in some areas. Respray and watch the witness lines disappear...

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS