Wasting Curly Maple

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
When you buy paint grade Maple in the rough for $1.80 a foot and it all ends up being Curly Maple which will be painted white.

F5D2856F-94B7-4CE7-A155-476658F4A875.jpeg

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Where did you buy this wood for $1.80/linear foot or $1.80/board foot? A revealing discovery on your part-ghastly?
Wholesale.
The distributor called me with a deal, $1.80 per bf paint grade from a mill in rough if I take the whole lot. Seemed to be in storage for some time, so oxidized skin, meaning I only found out it is curly once I started pushing it over the jointer. Some really pretty stuff.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree. I'd set that lumber aside for a more deserving project and get some poplar or alder.
Some years back I did an upfit for a doctor's office. When I received the doors, all birch veneer, we had one door that was curly with huge stripes in it. It was a 'tiger stripe' to my way of thinking. After staining and varnishing it, the doctor's wife insisted the we replace it. I was appalled at her lack of knowledge of the rarity of such a finish.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Evil Doers .......... Insulting the Wood Gods......... but then, today I used teak wood to block out a HVAC unit since it was the only wood I had on hand ........ oh the shame ... :oops: :D

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS