Warren Stroh's Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
My grandpa, Warren Stroh, was a machinist at Coors Brewing Company his whole life. He lived in Denver, and passed away about a year and a half ago. I got the phone call as the cruise ship I was on pulled off the dock...my best bud from the Marines was getting married, and it was also my birthday.

I didn't make the funeral. My Mom called me a couple days after I got back from the trip with a surprise. She had disassembled his lathe, carted it up a narrow flight of stairs from the basement, and hauled it home with her to TX. Well, she didn't, my stepfather did :)

And so it sat in a garage nearly a year before I could make it down to pick it up. Then it sat in my shop in pieces, until this week. I finally pushed enough off my plate to put it back together.

So, here is Warren Stroh's lathe...passed on to me at great length instead of being sold at an estate auction. I'm proud to have it. 10" swing, 24" between centers, and easily weighs 500 lbs. They don't make 'em like this anymore. What do you think guys, can I turn a pen on it?

glathe.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You can turn a solid sterling silver pen. That would be a fitting testament to your Grandfather.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am sorry about your loss Eric. It is wonderful that you have such a great piece of his legacy. :wsmile:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's one beautiful lathe you have Eric. That's wonderful that your mother and step father went through all of that trouble to save it for you. What a great gesture, and I'm sure you'll make them and your grandfather very proud. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Sorry about the loss of your grandfather, Eric.

That is a great lathe and can be used for many purposes.:icon_thum

Welcome to the dark side:gar-La;:banana:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Eric,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather.

Can't wait to see what you turn on that beast. Be sure to post some photos for us.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry for the loss of your grandpa.
You definitely could turn a pen on that one with a few precautions:

1. Go ahead & remove the tool post holder & make a tool rest for your chisels.
2. Keep the lathe bed covered with a soft cloth to avoid rust from some corrosive woods & sandpaper dust.
3. Protect the lead screw in the same fashion.

Have fun! :icon_thum

Did anybody else find it ironic that Grandpa Stroh worked for Coors? :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Great story and I'm sure you'll treasure that lathe. Looks like it it will turn metal.

So is it coincidental that a Stroh worked at Coors?:eusa_thin Bet he took a lot of grief over that. Used to love to take the tour at the Winston-Salem Stroh's plant when it was cranking out suds.

Dragon

New User
David
Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm betting you're going to do Grandpa very proud with what you produce off that baby. Sure is a sweet looking piece of work.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very cool. It looks like he really took care of his equipment. Turn something that would make him proud :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS