Wanut Burl Advice Needed

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
I have a buch of 3x3x6 walnut burl, possibly Claro. I cut into one blank to make some 1/8" scales for for one of our products. I came our with a lot of voids. Not unattractive. I'll need to fill those voids before the wood is used and finished. I use a 3-step system - tripoli rouge, white diamond and carnuba wax (in that order).

So, whatever I use to fill those voids will need to stay up and buff out to a good polish.

Ideas?
PXL_20230508_011338516.jpg

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I would use epoxy, black is never wrong with walnut but you could use almost any color to match your project. A syringe would be best for pushing the epoxy into the different shaped voids

Or if you have the ability to pressurize the piece you could also use alumilite to fill the voids. Don't use the alumilite if you do not have a pressure tank, too many bubbles otherwise.

SabertoothBunny made a good suggestion with the epoxy. You can also pick up some Black CA Glue as it is a little thinner and may get into the nooks and crannies more easily. I would suggest some masking tape on the opposite side as you probably do not want to attach them to your bench lol. Side note, if those are fairly freshly cut, I would let them hang out on the bench for a week or 2. That claro loves to twist its self up if it has any kind of moisture content over the 10%-ish area.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS