Wanted - Osage Orange

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking for some Osage orange for chisel handles...

So not a lot of board feet, but need at least 8 pieces prefer 10- 16

6/4 - 8/4 (1-1/2" - 2") X 5"-6" long

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Check out the site Got Wood? LLC (www.turningblanks.net) as they tend to have a lot of wood species in spindle turning blanks in the sizes you are looking for. Their inventory changes regularly based on what they can get for wood but I have seen just about everything come through their site.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bell Forest shows that they have the sizes you're looking for in stock, but you'll need to call to see if they have enough:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bell Forest shows that they have the sizes you're looking for in stock, but you'll need to call to see if they have enough:

HOLY CRAP!
6 pieces of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 24" osage orange with shipping $116.54!!
Not sure if I am just cheap or out of touch!!

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I’ve ordered lots of call making supplies from river mallard store in the past. Great prices and usually quick shipping services.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Why is this wood so expensive? Osage orange trees are hated because they are messy!

The other hated tree that I would love lumber is Magnolia!

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
HOLY CRAP!
6 of 1½" x 1½" x 24" is 2.25bf. $96 before shipping is $42.66/bf. Yikes! Maybe you can buy 3bf of the 8/4 that's listed under the "lumber" tab for $20/bf?

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
HOLY CRAP!
Hey Hank - it’s called inflation. 7% government inflation figure is crap. It’s WAY more than that.
Last week I paid $125 for 8 BF of hard maple. When they told me the price, I almost walked out, but they had already cut the 12’ pieces in half to fit in my car, and I didn’t have the heart to walk away. Lesson learned though. Try $160 a BF for Gaboon ebony if you can find it. I really need some for making inlays, but I just cannot get my brain around the cost.

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Not to high jack this thread but....Gabon Ebony....

try some instrument makers/suppliers... fret boards

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Thanks Kevin, but making a chisel handle with 3/8" thick material will not work...

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt

Do the math - that’s exactly $160 a BF.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Hank, there is a guy up in Roseville that was selling mallets turned out of osage orange. I saw this in the Raleigh Craigslist. He also sells tools and sharpens saws.

Roy G

Echd

C
User
Hank, there is a guy up in Roseville that was selling mallets turned out of osage orange. I saw this in the Raleigh Craigslist. He also sells tools and sharpens saws.

Roy G

I've bought a couple of odds and ends from him. The stuff I got was nice and very reasonable, he puts care into what he makes.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've bought a couple of odds and ends from him. The stuff I got was nice and very reasonable, he puts care into what he makes.

Yes I asked Chris Black if he had any more but he only has a little bit left for his mallets
he’s gonna ask his arborist when he has more but it’ll be wet, it won’t be dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Yes I asked Chris Black if he had any more but he only has a little bit left for his mallets
he’s gonna ask his arborist when he has more but it’ll be wet, it won’t be dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still have the stuff you saw and can sent it. Plus some more after we dry out a bit. It will fit in a flat rate box.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS