Want to learn motor rewinding

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I've always wanted to learn how to rewind motors. Can anyone recommend books, videos, tech schools ( I'm mountain City, TN but willing to drive a ways) for learning?

One thing I haven't found is how to connect the new windings after they are installed into the motor.

This will be more for learning and a hobby versus income.

My background is electricity/ electronics but they never taught rewinding motors.

Thanks,
Bill

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well it depends. Many terminations are staked or welded. On AC induction motors, the field may be soldered, but likely crimped to the starter winding contacts. Every motor may be different. Look at it carefully before taking it apart. They don't teach it as not many try it other than those of us old enough to play with slot cars. Those were brush type universal motors. I did rewind a Kawasaki alternator once. It was not easy to get the perfect lay without scratching the varnish or a kink. Large armatures or fields are usually potted in varnish to reduce vibration. I was insane enough to wind my own toroid moving coil transformer once. Well make that about 5 times as one kink and the winding was bad. Motors made past the 50's or so are machine wound and you are not likely to match their precision. In other words, there are a lot of things to spend time on, I suggest this is not one of them.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I toured the ASMO in Greenville NC where they manufacturer wiper assemblies for major auto manufacturers including motor builds. Nothing like seeing a motor wound in 30 secs or less.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS