Want to buy a Large Jointer

stevenross

steven
User
somebody humour a rookie woodworker. What is the difference in function between a jointer with 16" blades and a planer with the same dimensions?

TBoomz

New User
Ron
28", huh? Been looking to part with my Crescent Bandsaw for some time. 30" wheels with a 28" throat. Anyway...
here's the shots - if they load up right. and,....overall length measures out to 88" tip to tip.
My brother has skidsteer. He might be able to load it. Table is slightly rusty,[towards front end. didn't look @ back end] but didn't see any pitting.

Attachments

• SAM_0397.JPG
    SAM_0397.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 177
  • SAM_0398.JPG
    SAM_0398.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 171
  • SAM_0400.JPG
    SAM_0400.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 167

Virizi

New User
Kyle
Steven, A jointer and planer are complimentary tools in the milling process. A jointer is usually used to establish a straight/true/flat face on one side of a piece of lumber, and a square edge to that face. A planer is then used to bring the opposite face parallel (consistent thickness) to the one established on the jointer. There are work around for both of these. Its ideal to have both machines with similar capacity, but many of us don’t. A 16” inch jointer and planer with both have similar cutter heads, and are used for “facing” stock. I recommend looking on YouTube or googling jointing and planning. They can explain much better than I can with graphics, picture, video, etc. Hope this helps a little.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
32inch is massive...but I am interested. If I can afford it!!! I have a space large enough for it I think. Porters are great machines. I will be coming through your are not this weekend, but the next (July 27-28). I would like to come and take a look at it if you are around. After that I have 3 weeks off of work, so if we can come to a deal I could come and get it at your convenience. Thanks for the Great communication Ron.
I'm a fulltime farmer [blueberries, right now] so I make my own hours.

Virizi

New User
Kyle
28", huh? Been looking to part with my Crescent Bandsaw for some time. 30" wheels with a 28" throat. Anyway...
here's the shots - if they load up right. and,....overall length measures out to 88" tip to tip.
My brother has skidsteer. He might be able to load it. Table is slightly rusty,[towards front end. didn't look @ back end] but didn't see any pitting.
Looks awesome. Definitely needs some love, but I’m up to it.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
steven, for a rookie woody, I'd suggest you don't get more machine than you can handle. Better to start out 'small stuff'.
And like Kyle suggested, watch as much YOUTUBE as you can stomach.
I've been hurt using a jointer (injury plagued me about 10+ yrs.) and I've read the horror stories related to planers. Looking @ the catalog page from kyle - no cutterhead guard seems to have been employed. I didn't see one next to mine.
In fact, Dad took all the guards off his machinery [he still had all his fingers intact when he died] with exception of 12" jointer I currently use.

Virizi

New User
Kyle
steven, for a rookie woody, I'd suggest you don't get more machine than you can handle. Better to start out 'small stuff'.
And like Kyle suggested, watch as much YOUTUBE as you can stomach.
I've been hurt using a jointer (injury plagued me about 10+ yrs.) and I've read the horror stories related to planers. Looking @ the catalog page from kyle - no cutterhead guard seems to have been employed. I didn't see one next to mine.
In fact, Dad took all the guards off his machinery [he still had all his fingers intact when he died] with exception of 12" jointer I currently use.
Ron is absolutely correct.

BTW: PM sent to you Ron

stevenross

steven
User
Steven, A jointer and planer are complimentary tools in the milling process. A jointer is usually used to establish a straight/true/flat face on one side of a piece of lumber, and a square edge to that face. A planer is then used to bring the opposite face parallel (consistent thickness) to the one established on the jointer. There are work around for both of these. Its ideal to have both machines with similar capacity, but many of us don’t. A 16” inch jointer and planer with both have similar cutter heads, and are used for “facing” stock. I recommend looking on YouTube or googling jointing and planning. They can explain much better than I can with graphics, picture, video, etc. Hope this helps a little.
thanks - watched a couple videos - makes sense - saved me from making a basic mistake.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS