Want to buy a Large Jointer

Virizi

New User
Kyle
Looking to upgrade to a jointer in the 12”-24” range, 16” being the target. Preferably an older machine that will not cost me a ton of money. I have the ability and tooling to restore/repair the right candidate. I have been looking at the combo machine and those would be of interest as well.

Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was looking around a little more and saw this one:

(just guessing - that means Jointer - 3 phase... not sure)

TBoomz

New User
Ron
hey Kyle, turns out the jointer I was talking to you about is a bit wider. Table measures out to 32" wide. Haven't got to the cutters yet. So much stuff in my shed to get around. and this heat....

On the base is : "The Porter" and below that the letter "A" made in Shreveport, PA

Gonna have to make a "rubbing" to make out the rest. Been years since I'd laid eyes on it. A friend of my Dad's and fellow woodworker, Don Fogleman, helped my Dad put it in the shed; I remember him saying that he'd once used a similar size jointer to smooth the bottoms of coffins, that he made for the Amish.
Will take some photos later today when it's cooler...turns out I do have a digital point & shoot after all. Just forgot.
I'm about 3.5 hrs from Hampstead via I-40
let me know if it's too big - and I'll cover it back up

Virizi

New User
Kyle
32inch is massive...but I am interested. If I can afford it!!! I have a space large enough for it I think. Porters are great machines. I will be coming through your are not this weekend, but the next (July 27-28). I would like to come and take a look at it if you are around. After that I have 3 weeks off of work, so if we can come to a deal I could come and get it at your convenience. Thanks for the Great communication Ron.

Virizi

New User
Kyle
By the way. Don’t go out of your way digging through the shed in the heat. I’m already interested enough to want to see in person.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm confused. What dimensions does a 32" jointer refer too? The indeed and outfield table lengths on each side of the blade are 32" or their combined length is 32"? The width of the cut is still 12-16"?

Last edited:

Virizi

New User
Kyle

TBoomz

New User
Ron
Okay, here we go Jeff...The bed [top surface] of my jointer is 32" wide, [side to side] not counting the extra 2" for making rabbets. The cutter head / knives = 30" wide.
The overall length of it, I hadn't thought to measure; but am figuring, at least 6' long.
[ideal for the average (wood) coffin!]
It does have a fence on it.
Made by the Hermance Machine company out of Williamsport, PA...not shreveport.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Ron. That's a huge jointer at 32"!

You said that you'd like like something in the 12-24" range with 16" being the target.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
as soon as my camera's batt. gets recharged will try to upload pix.
Can't wait to see this thing and if Kyle buys it, I may drive all the way up, just to see it running!o_O

TBoomz

New User
Ron
he did say he'd have 3 wks off, that would put him about when the triad crawl passes my way. Should he decide to buy...twenty woodworkers could "hand load" it, right? ;)

Virizi

New User
Kyle
T
Thanks Ron. That's a huge jointer at 32"!

You said that you'd like like something in the 12-24" range with 16" being the target.

Targets are meant to be missed!!! It maybe to large for my needs but I would love to have another piece of American iron in my shop and put to use.

Virizi

New User
Kyle
Ron, maybe it’s similar to the 30inch model on page 3 of this old catalog? If so, it weighs about 2600 pounds! The reason I was looking for a large jointer was to have the ability to joint the panels off my sawmill (up to 28” wide) with a minimal number of ripping and reglues. With that thing, I could just joint and carry on.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS