Want first biscuit joiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Hello All;

I've never had one, and am in the market for a good, all around biscuit joiner. I've found an article in the February, 2008 issue of "Woodworker's Journal" on page 74 called "How to choose a biscuit joiner".

Does anyone know of any other tool review articles for these? I take most of the standard magazines, Wood, American Woodworker, WJ, and FW, and even Consumer Reports, although I don't know if they would review this kind of tool. Where can I look? Maybe a mag web site?

Also, maybe some of you would have some suggestions as to which biscuit joiner would be good to start with from your own personal experience?

Thanks,

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I haven't seen a review on biscuit joiners in a LONG time.

The creme de la creme is the Lamello, but it has a price to go with it. I think it is in the $600 to $800 range.

I currently have an older Freud, but have long thought about getting the current model of the Porter Cable or the DeWalt.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I have the PC version that also comes with the extra FF sized blade. The FF biscuits are very handy for Face-frames and smaller stuff like picture frames, etc.:icon_thum

Good luck on your decision.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
FHB did a review in August/September 2005. Lamello was obviously rated the best but cost prohibited. The Porter-Cable was rated "Best Value":

"This tool is the best value be cause it comes with an extr a blade that
can be used t o cut FF mini-biscuit slots. Chan ging the blad e was
easier th an on most of the tools and is described in Porter-Cable’s
well-illustrated man ual. The f ence is versatile, reaching 135º, and
easy to adjust to angle s over 90º. It also comes wit h a thick ness
plate for lo cating biscuits in th e center of​
12-in. stock. This to ol is a
little larger and he avier t han most, but it h as comfortable handles
that made it easy to u se for ex t ended pe riods of time. The dust port
and bag a ren’t great on this to ol, but the port is sized to accept a

s tandard 1-in. vacuum hose, which impro v ed dust collection"

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think American Woodworker did a review not too long ago. As Travis said, the best one is the Lamello. Next, you have the DeWalt DW682K and the Porter Cable 557. They generally tie for second place in the reviews. I bought the 557 because of the FF biscuits, you'll have to decide for yourself whether that's worth the extra $30 (it was to me).

You can go with a cheaper machine (e.g. the Ryobi), but that may be false economy. Biscuits are all about alignment and accuracy, if it doesn't do that well you're better off with something else (e.g. dowels, pocket screws) or no biscuits at all. And other than the Lamello, there really isn't anywhere to upgrade from the PC or DeWalt, so this can definitely be a buy-once kind of tool.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I have an older 16 yr old Ryobi (Made in Japan) that works just great. I wouldn't buy a new Ryobi anything but if you can find a used Japanese made one, it might be worth looking at. You could always go straight to a Domino and bypass the biscuit.

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Thank you to all that responded. I've just order the Porter Cable 557, which looks like the best all around biscuit jointer.

John

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
You ordered it already??? :BangHead: You can't just ask which one is best then order one! You have to do hours of price searches, bookmark a bunch of pages including Amazon and Craigslist - then keep checking them for weeks to see if the price goes down by maybe $3 - or wait for a sale at Woodcraft that includes power tools... ordering it the same day...that's just crazy.

I have the 557 and it's great. Happy biscuiting.:icon_thum

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Greg;

You know how it is with power tools. Gotta have it now! As it is I have to wait until it is shipped to me. Got it from Rockler's which seems to be about as cheap as anyplace. Besides, I had to order some other stuff for a cherry bookcase I'm making from them.

John

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You ordered it already??? :BangHead: You can't just ask which one is best then order one! You have to do hours of price searches, bookmark a bunch of pages including Amazon and Craigslist - then keep checking them for weeks to see if the price goes down by maybe $3 - or wait for a sale at Woodcraft that includes power tools... ordering it the same day...that's just crazy.

I have the 557 and it's great. Happy biscuiting.:icon_thum

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have an older 16 yr old Ryobi (Made in Japan) that works just great. I wouldn't buy a new Ryobi anything but if you can find a used Japanese made one, it might be worth looking at. You could always go straight to a Domino and bypass the biscuit.

I also have a Japanese Ryobi that's at least 16 years old and it too works like a charm. It seems a shame how much they went downhill after they partnered up the the BORG.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I must be a broken record.... the Shopsmith Mark V has a Biscuit Joiner attachment.......

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS