Walnut Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I'd like to get some 4/4 walnut for an upcoming project, probably around 100 bd ft. I'd also like to stock up a little bit on some 1common 4/4 cherry.

From Rocky Mount the options are severely limited. I have bought several times from East Wake Hdwd but it's kinda hit or miss sometimes. No reflection on Rodger, he's a super nice guy.

So, if you wanna get 100 bd ft walnut, maybe 50 bd ft cherry, where do you go? Wall Lumber or Internet lumber and pay truck freight? Road trip to Wall Lumber?

Why is hardwood so expensive in the Raleigh area?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might try Raleigh Hardwood center. I know they have a large stock of cherry. I don't know about walnut, but I am sure that they could get some for you. They won't be cheap, but you can get it. Also East Wake can get stock if you let them know what you want.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

For the amount of walnut you need, I'd take the road trip to Steve Wall Lumber. It is well worth the difference in prices.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Chuck, on the left side of the Home Page under "More Pages" is a link to other NC Wood Supplies that you might want to try. Here is the Link of the supplies we have listed so far.

D L

gator

George
Corporate Member
You might check with Mshell (Mike) in Wilson. He may know who delivers to that area and be needing to order some wood and you could piggy-back. I know that The Hardwood Store of NC delivers to the triangle area. For a bit more or a large load they may deliver to Rocky Mount or Wilson.

George

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Thanks for the suggestions. I had read the list of suppliers before posting but value the recommendations from the members here.

I have purchased in the past from Capitol City and East Wake.

I made one trip to Raleigh Hdwd ctr, looking for 50 bd ft of 4/4 cherry and the selection was limited, price was high...in fact they did not have rough 4/4 at all. I ended up purchasing from Rodger at East Wake. Now, that was quite a while back (well over a year as I recall). If Ral hdwd ctr has improved stock quantities in rough stock I'd be willing to swing by again.

I was leaning toward Wall Lumber because of the pricing and it appears he has options to purchase 1Common cherry, which I have found to be a good value for most of my furniture pieces. I do prefer select for long board panel glue-ups, bed rails, etc.

I have bought AD cherry, walnut and red cedar from Briggs Sawmill at 1.50 dollars/bd ft. I had the luxury of storing for a year before use. The yields were lower than KD select but the price was worth it. The AD walnut I got there was actually very nice stuff.

Mshel is nearby so I will check with him on suppliers. Thanks! :)

Chuck

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I bought 400 bd feet from wall lumber when they ran it as a bundle special. You had to buy in increments of 100. The boards were random widths, all about 7'. It was select grade and the widths range from 4" to 12" but most boards are 6-8". At $2.25 bd ft it was a great deal. They are running a mahogany special now but walnut or cherry may come back up soon. I had mine trucked in and they were great to deal with.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmmm Steve, you must have a bigger scrap pile than DaveO. :roll:

Now we know why the price of lumber is so high :lol:

Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
zapdafish said:
hrmm, Briggs Sawmill isn't on the wood suppliers page, where are they located?

Steve

Steve, if you can find the contact information for Briggs please post the info so we can add them to our list.

Thanks,
D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
D L Ames said:
Steve, if you can find the contact information for Briggs please post the info so we can add them to our list.

Thanks,
D L

Let me echo that, if there is some one who should be on the list, just PM me the contac info and I'll add them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS