Walnut potential group buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I can be in High Point next weekend, is there is 100 BF left. I can PayPal or show up cash in hand

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Board footage is our single biggest logistical issue. Complications related to it will manifest in two ways.

1. Measurement of board footage
We want to be time efficient and reasonably accurate. If all people picking up wood can be there at the same time, we can have a designated "board foot measurement team". That should help keep things consistent and quick. One guy takes quick measurements of width (eyeball average) and length and a second guy punches them into a calculator and tracks a running total. I think this problem is the easiest board footage problem to solve.

2. Total board footage available
This is the hardest problem to solve. For example, if we have 10 people splitting "1700 board feet" evenly, we would get 170 BF each. If we follow the planned system of taking off the top of the pile one person at a time and there ends up only being 1600 BF instead of 1700 BF, then the last guy will only have 70 BF instead of 170 BF, he would have already paid for 170 BF though. This needs to be dealt with. If there ends up being more than 1700 BF, then this is much, much easier to deal with, but if the total falls short, then things get complicated in a hurry. People should understand that their total cost will be known in advance (it is fixed), but the total amount of lumber will vary based on how well we can measure board footage and how much is actually there.

We could each take turns taking 80% of our order, then make a 2nd pass to get the remaining 20%. If the last guy in line doesn't have enough wood, the group could "buy him out" based on the differential. We could give him wood to compensate, but the selection of the wood becomes an issue again. Most lumber runs that we are familiar with are hosted by a sawyer who isn't selling a trailer of wood for a fixed price, he sells a trailer full of wood for a certain $/BF cost. Many times he leaves with the worst boards because nobody buys them. Our situation is a bit different.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The question still remains - who is going to give the seller $2000 cash and then organize the final distribution. If I was still working or my savings account was in better shape I'd volunteer to do it, since there is very little downside if enough people agree to show up. But those things aren't easy right now. I will be bringing $250 for my 200 bf and $250 for Phil's 200 bf in cash. That is 1/4 of the total amount needed. If Jeremy is not willing to host this then if people can agree to meet me at the site with another $1500 in cash in hand then I would be willing to host this lumber run.

I just cannot haul away more than a pickup truck load in one day. I can take payment via PayPal but again, this seems to be Jeremy's deal so I defer to him. I've done none of the research that he has and am only interested in making this happen.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a suggestion. I think we should charge $1.25 per foot. If we measure differently than the owner, he will still get his $2000 even if there is only 1600 bdft. But if there is indeed 1700 than NCWW gets a little cash. Of course if there is only 1500 than we have a problem, but I studied the photos and counted layers as best I could and figured there was at least 1700 there - just a SWAG

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
OK, just to be clear, there will be NO organized final distribution for this lumber. There are no plans to haul the wood to a different location for distribution at a later date. I don't know of anyone that can haul away anywhere near this much lumber. People will need to show up on Saturday or have someone act on your behalf on Saturday. This means the person acting on your half will haul your wood away and make any lumber choices for you.

We are a very friendly group, so anyone that can't make it shouldn't have any issue getting someone to act on your behalf in a very honest way. I am already picking up and storing cyclopentadiene's share for him. That will max out my ability to transport, load and unload.

I have no issue accepting PayPal from people if that is route anyone wants to take. Many of you know me and likely feel comfortable with that, but I can understand why those that do not know me may not want to do that. Payment to the seller is the least of my concerns at this time. It seems the simplest approach is for each person to show up with the cash for however much lumber they plan to haul away. If you are hauling lumber for two people, then show up with the cash for two people. We have several avenues for handling payment issues that could arise. The only real risk here would be if we allow someone to leave with wood they did not pay for. Otherwise it seems the worst case scenario is someone just doesn't show up, a different person ends up putting up their cash, but they also leave with their wood, which they now own free and clear as far as I am concerned.

The literal way to think about this (but likely not practical) is buying shares of an somewhat unknown total. If someone has ordered 100 BF then they have really purchased a 1/17th share. If someone ordered 250 BF, they have purchased a 2.5/17th share, etc, etc. As the total grows and shrinks, so does the share. Without knowing what the total is, we don't really know how much each person should get. I am not trying to be nitpicky here, just trying to describe a practical issue. Nobody cares if another guy got 1% more wood than they were supposed to and you get 1.5% less than you were supposed to.

As I tried explaining earlier, I am worried that the last guy in line won't have enough or any wood left for him if our measurements are not good (and err on the side of measuring less than the actual) or if there is a bit less than 1700 BF there. By charging $1.25/BF, we should generate $2,125 if we measure 1700 BF. As Phil pointed out, that allows for a 100 BF shortage. That handles the financial side, the extra money can "buy out" the last guy who didn't get wood, but that still really sucks for the person that drove out there only to find out we ran out of wood. That is the only problem I don't know how to solve at this time. Any suggestions?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Note: If you can't make it and don't make arrangements for someone to act on your behalf, you will by default forfeit your share to whoever ends up paying for it.

Official Final Summary Page
This post will be updated as things change

Pickup will be at 9:30 AM on Saturday 9/17/2016 in Kernersville, NC. I will PM the exact address once we have the list of who is coming finalized (no later than Thursday night). Cost is $1.25/BF, proceeds, if any, will be donated to NCWW.

Estimated total lumber is 1700 BF. We have 1700/1700 accounted for.

1. cyclopentadiene 250 BF (Jeremy Pickup - $313 [rounded up 50 cents - I am not dealing with any change])
2. Jeremy Scuteri 200 BF (Jeremy Pickup - $250)
3. thsb 150 BF (thsb Pickup - $188 [rounded up 50 cents])
4. Phil S 200 BF (Ken Pickup - $250)
5. KenOfCary 200 BF (Ken Pickup - $250)
6. Ralrick 100 BF (Ken Pickup - $125)
7. Graywolf 100 BF (Graywolf Pickup - $125)
8. ste6168 200 BF (ste6168 Pickup - $250)
9. Rick_B 100 BF (Rick_B Pickup - $125)
10. LeftyTom 200 BF (LeftyTom Pickup - $250)

Saturday Payment - Current Total = $2126 (This needs to total a minimum of $2000 and should be $2125 if all wood is accounted for):
Jeremy - $563
Ken - $625
thsb - $188
ste6168 - $250
Graywolf - $125
Rick_B - $125
LeftyTom - $250

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I said that I was still in for 100 bf (page 4, post #11). Where did 50bf come from?

I will get my cash to someone.

September 17 may be a problem for me because my knock about hauling van is still in the Chevy garage with no diagnosis yet (I'll call them tomorrow). If Saturday is D-day I might need some Pony Express help to get the wood back in this area.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Here's a quick board foot calculator that may work for a board foot team. Two assumptions: Avg length is 8' and avg thickness is 1" so that's the 0.67 multiplier. Just enter the nominal width of a board and the bf is calculated along with a running total as more boards are added.

ERROR: It's an .xlsx file and NCWW doesn't support Excel file uploads.

I can send it to someone as an email attachment to their private email address. PM if interested.

BF = 0.67 x width coming off of the pallet.
Board #widthbf

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I just talked to the seller and we are on for 9:30 AM on Saturday. I will call on Thursday to confirm in case we are in for bad weather and want to change up plans.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Regrettably after checking with my wife (aka the Boss) she's informed me we have better ways to spend the money and time on Saturday. Therefore, I'm relinquishing my 200 bd ft. Good luck guys, maybe next time.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
So I don't want or need any walnut. I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread whatsoever. I would just like to thank all the participants for creating what has to be the most entertaining thread of the year to date.

I eagerly await the next episode, and I might be tempted to come on Saturday just to watch. It should easily be as entertaining as a college football game...

:gar-Bi

K

ste6168

New User
Mike
Regrettably after checking with my wife (aka the Boss) she's informed me we have better ways to spend the money and time on Saturday. Therefore, I'm relinquishing my 200 bd ft. Good luck guys, maybe next time.

I will gladly snag this 200BF if available. I will have to double check with the lady of the house, but I do not foresee any reason I couldn't make the trip. Let me know ASAP if this is an option, I will then plan accordingly.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy, Please PM us the address when we get closer to Saturday. I plan to have $250 to pay for each of the 200 bf for myself and Phil. I will either give that to you at the event or PayPal it to you now. Your choice. If you end up with extra funds, just donate them to NCWW. $2000/1700 works out to $1.18 / bf. $1.25 is close enough for me and provides some wiggle room as Phil mentioned.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You know there are events going on almost every weekend lately. The 17th was about the only free weekend I had for some time. Guess that a'int happening. No free weekends here. But I digress again.

Thanks for stepping up to organize this Jeremy. There - back on topic.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
I will gladly snag this 200BF if available. I will have to double check with the lady of the house, but I do not foresee any reason I couldn't make the trip. Let me know ASAP if this is an option, I will then plan accordingly.

I'd be in for 100 bd ft of this excess if its available - but I need to know fairly soon if I'm on the list

Rick

pridmore

New User
Andy
I would be in for up to a couple of hundred if anybody else'd wife cuts off his manhood. Obviously, I'm joking about the manhood...or am I? Mine was taken from me many years ago.

I would still like some walnut, though.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Manhood's there last time I checked. She's just the realist in the family. She's my Huck Finn to my Tom Sawyer. Seems to be a general trend among friends I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS