Walnut log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Bruce we have a number of sawyers here. Contact one of them and maybe you can work out arrangements. It is a nice looking log.

blbradford

New User
Bruce
This log is about 3 foot by 18" what would a "bargin price" be- they do not have a price target in mind.

Bruce

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Personally not more than $10-15 bucks, not even worth taking to the sawyer. Better way to do it would be a larger bandsaw or chainsaw it for turning blanks.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I haven't done anything with it yet but when I had to take down a fair sized oak a few years ago, I saved a crotch section similar in size. I split it in half with my chain saw and then cut it up into smaller pieces on my bandsaw. It has been air drying since.

This is only enough wood for a very small project like a jewelry box. Considering the work necessary to turn it into something and the possibility you could cut into it and find a flaw making the wood mostly unusable, I agree the price should be very low.

Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I haven't done anything with it yet but when I had to take down a fair sized oak a few years ago, I saved a crotch section similar in size. I split it in half with my chain saw and then cut it up into smaller pieces on my bandsaw. It has been air drying since.

This is only enough wood for a very small project like a jewelry box. Considering the work necessary to turn it into something and the possibility you could cut into it and find a flaw making the wood mostly unusable, I agree the price should be very low.

Jim

+1 regarding Jim and Gary's comments. For some reason people tend to think that black walnut yard trees are worth a fortune - in reality they really aren't worth much of anything. Yes, veneer grade walnut logs that grew in a forrest can bring several thousand dollars. However, very few logs are veneer grade.

If you choose to mill it up with a chainsaw (a good idea), be aware that walnut shavings will kill most any vegetation that they land on.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
+1 regarding Jim and Gary's comments. For some reason people tend to think that black walnut yard trees are worth a fortune - in reality they really aren't worth much of anything. Yes, veneer grade walnut logs that grew in a forrest can bring several thousand dollars. However, very few logs are veneer grade.

If you choose to mill it up with a chainsaw (a good idea), be aware that walnut shavings will kill most any vegetation that they land on.

Yeah - I got a real kick out of a CL ad for a black walnut branch posted last year, I booked marked it but it's since been removed...

In my experience yard logs are a crap shoot at best, they are usually full of steel. What possesses people to pound nails in trees I'll never know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS