Walnut keepsake boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I was commissioned to make a pair of keepsake boxes for a lady to give to her grandchildren (twins). She had some walnut and I had the time. I didn't have to finish them but would have liked to have seen the grain pop and the DT's stand out. I talked to the guy who did the finishing and he said it turned out great. DT's were hand cut. Top was hinged but not when photo's were taken.

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/1/8/walnutbox001.JPG

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/1/8/walnutbox002.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are really nice, your DT spacing is exactly what I like:icon_thum . It is too bad you didn't get to finish them, I would have loved to see the final result. Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Mike, beautiful work. May I offer a suggestion. In the pictures it looks like the lid section sides and ends are not from the same piece of wood as the body of the box. What I try to do is build the box from one piece of wood large enough for the body and the lid and then saw it apart after assembly. I use a table saw with a thin kerf blade and just tape in wedges on each face as I go so that the blade doesn't get pinched on the final cut. Then it is just a matter of either planing or sanding off the saw marks. Then the grain will flow from top to bottom and around the box. Of course you do have to make allowances for the saw kerf in your design and dovetail spacing.

Once again a beauty of a keepsake box and sure to be a family heirloom. Great job!:icon_thum

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Mike,

That is exactly what I did. If you look closely, you can see the end grain pattern which flows all the way to the top.

Mike

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Mike, I see that now. I guess I better look more closely when I offer unneeded suggestions. Sorry, I was not being critical although I am sure you could take it that way. I will be more observant next time.:eusa_sile :oops:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug Constructive criticism is always a good thing, that's how we all learn.

Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
:eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug Constructive criticism is always a good thing, that's how we all learn.

Dave:)

Since I seem not to be able learn woodworking:BangHead: :eusa_booh :crybaby2: , don't bother me with any constructive criticism:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Aww, Steve, a few good, well meant, suggestions from someone more experienced can always help you to learn more:icon_thum . The crap I spout, generally will set you back a notch:eusa_naug . That's why I'm here, in hopes to learn more about woodworking, which so far I have every day. The best woodworkers I know have been at it for 10,20 even 30 years, except for a few who just have real talent, or the money for a lot of high quality classes, this is a hobby that takes time to learn it all. Stick to it! Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS