Walnut color match

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Ran out of some air dried walnut in the middle of a project and am looking for some 8/4 to finish up
i seem to recall issues with walnut losing its color during different types of drying with air drying being the best to preserve color intensity.
If I get some 8/4 from a supplier like NC Hardwood Store will the color be as good as an air dried source?
if not, any ideas where I can get some 8/4 air dried
thanks

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I don’t know about color, etc. But I have some rough sawn walnut you can have super cheap.
i am south of Sanford.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I don’t know about color, etc. But I have some rough sawn walnut you can have super cheap.
i am south of Sanford.

Roberta
If Luke is not interested, I expect that I am. I am looking for 8/4 walnut, and need to assemble pieces to make a 2 pieces 48" long x 9" without knots. I am willing to glue up narrower pieces/strips to get there, but I can't have knots or lots of sapwood. Thanks.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Berta
Thanks for the offer...sounds like your supply is less that 8/4? I really need that thickness for this project.
Thanks anyway.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
i seem to recall issues with walnut losing its color during different types of drying with air drying being the best to preserve color intensity.
If I get some 8/4 from a supplier like NC Hardwood Store will the color be as good as an air dried source?

Contact Scott Smith (scsmith42) in New Hill. Kiln dried walnut has a color that's indistinguishable from air dried walnut (according to Scott). Walnut which is dried in a steam kiln will have a washed out muddy look. The walnut at the Hardwood Store has been steam kiln dried is what they told me when I asked them a few years ago.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jack Murdock (saw4you here) used to have air dried Walnut. His stock varies though, so call first. He's usually listed under RDU CL materials section.

Also Glenn at GPS Hardwoods has really nice looking Walnut. His ad is in one of the sidebars on this site. Give him a call.

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
if not, any ideas where I can get some 8/4 air dried
thanks

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59794

Like someone else pointed out, get in touch with Scott Smith- I think he will have something you can use. In the event that you can not get a good mix, take a look at the coloring and finish schedule on one of the most varied walnut pieces I have built. This was all over the spectrum. The wood on the sides was from walnut that was under water at some point and had to be "re-dried" again.

With some bleach and dye it comes together. Some of the photos of that piece come out a little orange in tone in the photos but not so much on the piece itself.

I do not like to join walnut and have lamination lines on pieces I build from long ago. That's me. If you don't mind the "cutting board" look, I think you can get by with lots of options. Contact Scott.

finish_stuff_15jun_014.JPG

finish_stuff_15jun_011.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS