Wall Tool Cabinet - Progress report

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Getting closer - I still have to add some cork panels and cherry frames to the front of the door
And then take all the tools back out and spray with finish

Just to refresh your memory here is my original plans - not much detail but my norm
IMG_5411.jpg

The outside view shows more work is required
IMG_5495.jpg

Interior views
IMG_5496.jpg
IMG_5497.jpg
IMG_5498.jpg
IMG_5500.jpg
IMG_5506.jpg
IMG_5505.jpg
IMG_5501.jpg
IMG_5503.jpg
IMG_5502.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5504.jpg
    IMG_5504.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 183

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow, impressive!!! Once it is fully operational, your tools will never be missing or misplaced!:rolleyes:

skyline933

Jim
Corporate Member
I have some hand me down rolling wood cabinets with chisels / planes, and am always worried about rust / corrosion. How do you tackle that in your beautiful tool cabinet?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have some hand me down rolling wood cabinets with chisels / planes, and am always worried about rust / corrosion. How do you tackle that in your beautiful tool cabinet?
I do wipe the tools down with a light coat of oil plus I will put some sort of moisture absorbent inside. Also, the cabinet is inside my fully conditioned shop

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Green with envy. My ADD brain could never handle being that organized and orderly. Great job.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice, Phil! It's really coming together. I see you have space for a few more tools. I always have that same problem where the tools and the storage space never seem to quite equal. I'm left with either building more cabinets or buying more tools! :eek:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
After see your chisel collection, I now know I am not that OCD -:p cool

NICE Cabinet very nice indeed.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
What is the best method for getting drool off of my keyboard? Beautiful cabinet and wonderful collection of tools.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Phil! I am curious to know what your inspiration -- it looks similar to ones by Mike Pekovitch or Christian Becksvoort, both in Fine Woodworking. Like others, I'm envious!

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Phil, This probably needs to show up in Fine Woodworking as one of the largest wall tool cabinets ever built. Looks great!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Phil! I am curious to know what your inspiration -- it looks similar to ones by Mike Pekovitch or Christian Becksvoort, both in Fine Woodworking. Like others, I'm envious!
I am not sure I can point to a specific design inspiration, other than the need to centralize my hand tools from multiple cabinets, chests and shelves. I just now looked at Mike's cabinet, but could not get to Christian's design. They might have helped. My design started with an inventory of what I wanted to store and the hardware I had to build with - mostly the industrial continuous hinges that I had saved from a commercial demo. Next I built the boxes and started filling it. I am still surprised at the amount of tooling I was able to find room for - and still room for some more
Fun project - glad I did this

jrfuda

New User
John
Amazing! I would need to significantly increase my level of discipline to put everything back on a regular basis.

Hjanes

Harlan
User
Inspiring solution, Phil. Hope you don't mind some copying of some of the ideas. Any idea where one might find those robust piano hinges today? Thanks for sharing.
Harlan

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Inspiring solution, Phil. Hope you don't mind some copying of some of the ideas. Any idea where one might find those robust piano hinges today? Thanks for sharing.
Harlan
They are Roton aluminum continuous geared hinge
Available from multiple sources. Not cheap

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For rust in my tool cabinet I put some of this stuff on the horizontal surfaces. The planes actually sit on top of it - it cushions them as well as providing corrosion resistance. Zerust brand

Great stuff, I heard about it years ago and lost the information. Thanks Ken, I will be ordering soon.
www.zerust.com

Zerust® products work by releasing a harmless, non-toxic, odorless, colorless vapor into the air around your metal item. Protective molecules settle on all exposed metal surfaces, forming a very thin protective layer that is just a few molecules thick. This molecular layer inhibits electrochemical reactions on the surface of the metal that cause corrosion. Exposed metal surfaces protected by Zerust® benefit from a long-lasting shield against rust, tarnish and corrosion.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS