Walking Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

skurto

New User
Kurt
Hello Everyone!

I am a member of Y-Guides. A YMCA group designed for Dads and either their Sons or Daughters to connect much like Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts.

We are in need of walking sticks that we can make in to what Y-Guides calls "grow sticks". It's a walking stick cut to the height of the child when they start Y-Guides then as the years pass it is a reminder of how far they have come since they started. They are also used as hiking/walking sticks during hikes.

Outside of the obvious procurement of searching in the forrest does anyone know where we could source walking sticks that we can purchase. We need them as blanks so the kids can cut and decorate them as an activity.

Size: 60+", Diameter: 1"-11/2", Quantity: 18

Please let me know if you can help. Thank you!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
You could look at Home Depot for dowel rods close to the size but, they won't be cheap.

I found 1-1/2" thick by 96" long for $28.96 each - if you accept a 48" starting length then you can get two staffs out of one rod. Going that route is still $261 before tax.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Look for an old tobacco barn. Many still have a bunch of the tobacco sticks stacked in or near them.

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Look for an old tobacco barn. Many still have a bunch of the tobacco sticks stacked in or near them.

I spent many a summer in Fremont sweating in the tobacco fields..... If I had a dollar for every tobacco stick I broke I could retire.

Good luck finding them these days...

Last edited:

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I have a bunch of tobacco sticks here on the farm, but I doubt any of them are 60" long. I'll check and follow up if they are, but i"M guessing they are closer to the 48" length. [Not really sure if tobacco sticks or not.] Could be be tomato sticks or something else for the garden.

Do they have to be round?

Check with a local lumber yard that mills their own for cut offs? Or check the sawyer list for one near you.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Kurt, I have about 9 acres in southern Rowan County with a lot of poplar, honey locust, elm and pecan saplings. I'm sure we could find 18 at various diameters, but close to your description, with variable height. They would be green. If I collect, cut, bundle and deliver, I would need $3 each, if you do all the work, $1 each would be sufficient. I am retired so I have a flexible schedule. P.M. me if you are interested. If you bring the youngsters and adults to supervise the collection process, I will give you one for all your students, even the ones who can't make it. 704-279-9087.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I think I've seen dried walking stick blanks at both Klingspor and Wood Craft so you may want to check them for availability. I don't recall what pricing was like for them though. David is correct about tobacco sticks, they're generally in the 48-50" range. I don't believe I've seen any 60" or more. I've got some machine and hand cut ones in the garage and can double check them once home.

HTH,
Brian.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We made our own years ago when we did a lot of backpacking in NC and VA. Find some saplings in the woods, cut them down, and trim the length to 60" for a "grow stick". The sticks should be freshly cut green wood and the bark should probably be removed and that's easy with a plain ole pocket knife to peel it off.

I googled "grow sticks" and can't find anything about them and the Y.

We need them as blanks so the kids can cut and decorate them as an activity.

How will the kids do this?

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
If I collect, cut, bundle and deliver, I would need $3 each, if you do all the work, $1 each would be sufficient. I am retired so I have a flexible schedule. P.M. me if you are interested. If you bring the youngsters and adults to supervise the collection process, I will give you one for all of your students.

So much for a charitable cause that you want to charge for on your 9 acres.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
So much for a charitable cause that you want to charge for on your 9 acres.

I don't know why you feel the need to bust Steve's chops for offering to meet the original poster's need at a reasonable price.

The OP asked for a source to buy them - Steve also offered to provide them free (I think I read that right) if the gang wanted to come out and harvest them themselves.

tactical

New User
Joe
Did you find your walking stick source? I have some 1 & 1 1/4" dowels that are 16' long that your group is welcome to if you need some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS