Visit to the virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Seeking the wood muses I visited Joyce Kilmer Forest in western NC. Designated as a wilderness in 1935 it contains the last remnants of virgin forest in NC. Dominant species are poplar, hemlock and red oak with some of the poplars being 400-800 years old. Fellow ncwoodworker Phil lives in nearby Robbinsville. Below is the largest poplar and LOML twixt two giants.

Enjoy :-D
Sapwood

joycekilmerpoplar.jpg

joycekilmer_2.jpg

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Very cool. Hard to believe trees like that were the norm at one time.

Were they significantly taller as well?

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Sheesh, those are some nice trees. I wonder how much of that poplar's center has rotted. Every large poplar I have seen taken down had rot in the center. Beautiful place!:-D

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
YOu know you have added another place to visit to my ver expanding list? How far is it from Durham?

sapwood

New User
Roger
cloudancer said:
YOu know you have added another place to visit to my ver expanding list? How far is it from Durham?

Hmmm, I meandered this trip, but probably six or seven hours. It's near TN border and NC is 500 miles long:)

Well worth it though--I shall return. There's Nanthala nearby and two wilderness areas--great whitewater, trout fishing, and beautiful lakes.

Hope you make it sometime:-D

I'll chat with you folks next week. Heading out this morning to Outer Banks (Corolla) for a week :mrgreen: But there is a chance I'll have internet at cottage we have, so I'm taking my laptop.

Much later,
Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors