Vises or Vices?

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
So I have my workbench top glued up in two pieces, and all the joinery is done on the base, just need to fine tune some of the joints to fit a little tighter and then I have to decide if I want to add dowels to the mortise and tenon joints. So I am at the point I have to start thinking about the vise I am going to use. I know I want to use a leg vise on the front and believe for now I am going to use a Veritas Wonder dog as a tail vise until I can decide if I want to add one. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...ories/31129-veritas-wonder-dog-and-wonder-pup

I am trying to decide which leg vise I would like to go with, Benchcrafted is out as i can't afford to spend that much on a vise, the Lake Erie wooden vise is really cool but i would still be somewhere between $175-$250. So then I found the Yost tools screw vise on Amazon which is only $46 Yost Tools Y18SS Yost 18" Vise Screw: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific , but my question is am I missing any other options? Also, are there any other options for the parallel guide, the idea of having to move a pin each time I use different size stock seems annoying, maybe it isn't, in reality but in concept it seems like it would be. Maybe I have an enlargement in my mid section that makes bending over less fun than it used to be. :p

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think you could make a crisscross vise for about $45 or so.

Look at the Benchcrafted parallel cross guide, it is expensive but I think it would not be that hard to make. Or you could make the sawtooth guide like I made.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Oh that is cool, does the vertical bar lift the horizontal bar so it can slide out freely?

Gripbd

BD
User
I’m DIY’ing my leg vise. I’m using a 1” acme threaded rod for the screw. I can’t remember if I found it on Ebay or Amazon, but I just checked and they’re available at less than $30 for a three foot piece from Amazon. I bought an acme nut from the local Fastenal. ( I found that the prices at the store were CONSIDERABLY lower than the prices listed by Fastenal online, or for that matter, better than any prices I found online for 1” acme nuts.) I found a hand wheel on EBay for less than $10. Im using a 1” self aligning bearing (BigBearingStore.com). I’m making an x-cross from 1/2” aluminum from the salvage and recycling yard.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I’m DIY’ing my leg vise. I’m using a 1” acme threaded rod for the screw. I can’t remember if I found it on Ebay or Amazon, but I just checked and they’re available at less than $30 for a three foot piece from Amazon. I bought an acme nut from the local Fastenal. ( I found that the prices at the store were CONSIDERABLY lower than the prices listed by Fastenal online, or for that matter, better than any prices I found online for 1” acme nuts.) I found a hand wheel on EBay for less than $10. Im using a 1” self aligning bearing (BigBearingStore.com). I’m making an x-cross from 1/2” aluminum from the salvage and recycling yard.

this seems very interesting

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors