Virge???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Everyone
I was commissioned to do 8 of these. They are made from Peruvian walnut( laminated 5 Ply for strength ) and scrolled, then attached to a 37” tapered Mahogany shaft with a brass tip. I used my bandsaw jig to taper the shafts then turned the round knob and attached together with a dowel pin and 2 part epoxy. Finished with 5 coats of wipe-on poly.
A virge, from the Latin virga, is a type of rod, made of wood.
Originally it was one or more branches (the French often use verges, the plural of its equivalent, as the normal word for a rod, the rarer singular verge rather indicates a switch) used as an instrument for corporal punishment, or as a riding crop.
It is presently best known as the ceremonial staff of the Anglican and Episcopalian lay church officers known as verger (or originally virger : the title derives from virge), who originally used it as a ‘weapon’ to make way for the ecclesiastical procession (compare the catholic garde suisse), and occasionally to chastise unruly
choristers.

Sheree002.jpg

Sheree003.jpg

Sheree.jpg

bwat

New User
Bill
Nice.:icon_thum You seem to get some VERY unique commissions. Interesting history lesson too. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS