Veterans Day Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think it would be interesting to see who served when and where, doing what. I'll start:

US Army 1957-1960
Fort Dix NJ - Basic
Fort Monmouth, NJ - Tech School
Antofagasta, Chile (civilian status) Early Space Program
Ft Benning, GA (Lawson Army Airfield) - Installing first auto-gyro gear on choppers and flight radio repair
Okinawa - Unit organization/activation for next assignment
Bangkok, Thailand - Staging for next
Vientiene, Laos (civilian status - picture Mission Impossible Disclaimer) - deployment and installation of fixed station radio site in jungle (in prep for 'Nam???)
Ft Gordon, GA - weekend training of Guard and Reserve for deployment and installation of fixed station radio sites.

Who's next?

wolfden

New User
Andy
US Navy 1971-1978, NC Air National Guard, 1978-2004
NAS Memphis Basic and "A" School
3 years at NAS South Weymouth, MA as Aviation Electronics Technician (AT)
Couple of years as Naval Reservist in Norfolk, VA
Transferred to NC Air National Guard 1978
Numerous "summer camps" to places in NC, GA, PA, Puerto Rico, Denmark, Egypt
Operation Iraqi Freedom-Jan 03-Jun 03
Retired (at wife's request) Apr. 2004

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Navy
'67 - '71 USNA
'71 - '72 Naval Flight Officer, radar & electronic warfare, jet nav (high altitude radar, instrument, celestial, and low level), and survival, escape, and evasion training- NAS Pensacola, FL, NAS Glynco, GA, NAS Miramar, CA
'72- '73 Aircraft and electronic warfare systems and navigation training in the EKA-3 Skywarrior, NAS Alameda, CA (VAQ-130, VAQ-135)
'73 - '74 Aircraft and electronic warfare systems, navigation transition training in the EA-6B Prowler, Carrier-based Electronic Warfare Aircraft (Radar and communications jamming and high speed anti-radiation missile (HARM). NAS Whidbey, Is. WA (VAQ-129/135)
'74- '94 Numerous 2 - 6 week squadron weapons training detachments and carrier workups; and 6 - 9 month deployments to the Pacific, Atlantic, Mediterranean, Indian Oceans and North Arabian Sea (Independence, Kitty Hawk, Ranger, etc.). Based out of NAS Whidbey, Is. WA. Division Officer thru Department Head. (VAQ-135, VAQ-136, VAQ-131)
'74 - '94 Various flying (instructor) and non-flying staff assignments- VAQ-129 NAS Whidbey Island, USS Kennedy, Pentagon (Joint Staff J-3, DIA), and Persian Gulf (COMMIDEASTFOR Staff during Desert Shield), etc.
Retired as a Commander (O-5) after 22.5 years of active duty.

EKA-3 Skywarrior

a3b.jpg

EA-6B Prowler

EA-6B_Prowler_from_VAQ-138.jpg

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
1985-1994 Us Navy Holly Loch Scotland x 2, NAS Memphis, Lamadana Italy, and a few other fun spots around and about.

Thank you to all who have served and are serving now.

Bryan S

Bryan
6 years in the NAVY 79 to 85. Nuke school in Orlando with prototype training in Idaho Falls on the prototype for the Nautalis.
Sent to the Enterprise and made quite a few trips under that bridge in Alan's pic. Two of those trips were West Pacs ending up in the Indian Ocean where we spent quite a few months along the way.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you to everyone who served -
I did not make that choice and still regret it.

I know my life would be very different had I done it and EXTREMELY different if all of you would not have decided to do it!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Sondy was a cake walk and even Thule was relatively pleasant compared to Danang, Udorn and Osan!

But you guys riding around in BUFFs, keeping your nukes from overheating had the best tours :rotflm:

Hand Salute to you Colonel.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
US Army - 11B2P Sergeant, Infantry - C Troop 1/17th Air Cavalry 82d Airborne Division 1981-1985
Various and sundry Rapid Deployment Force adventures, including a Carribean vacation in Grenada.
Plus three more years in the NC National Guard as an 02M. (We'll let you guys figure that one out...)

Anyone else out there that isn't a dirty stinkin' leg?

:gar-Bi

K

DWSmith

New User
David
CE "A" School Port Hueneme, CA (Construction Electrician)
Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 4 (Seabees) Port Hueneme, CA We Build, We Fight. Can Do!
Danang RVN, "I" Corps and all areas north to the DMZ in 1968 (arrived during the Tet offensive in Feb 1968) and 1969, Coordinated and supported the 1st MarDiv and 1st Air Cav. Helped to rebuild the 1st Air Cav base at Camp Evans.
NSA Danang in 1970 (Naval Support Activity) Line crew member and contact team electrician servicing portable electrical generating units throughout the "I" Corps area. Portable generator units from 5kw to 250kw. Licensed to operate generators up to 250kw.
Nasty country, nasty conditions. I refuse to purchase ANYTHING made in that country to this day. Two of my high school buddies were lost there. One a KIA another a MIA. RIP guys!

dupont6480

New User
Tim
US NAVY 1972-2003,

NAVY SALVAGE DIVER 72-75;
EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL (EOD) - 1976-2003.
E-1 - E-8 (MMCS) and then LDO retiring as CDR.

USS DULUTH LPD-6
USS HOLLAND AS-32
USS HARLAN COUNTY LST 1196
USS AMERICA CV-66
USS JOSEPHUS DANIELS CG-27
NAVEODTECHDIV INDIAN HEAD, MD
EODMU TWO
EOD GRU TWO
EODTEU TWO
EOD DET KEYPORT (INDIAN ISLAND, WA)
AND A SCORE OF WONDERFUL TOURS IN GOD'S SANDS AND JUNGLES AND MANY "UNMENTIONED" PLACES . . .
GITMO 2 TOURS
SECOND FLEET EOD/MCM/SALVAGE OFFICER
RETIRING AS CO EOD TRAINING AND EVALUATION UNIT TWO FORT STORY, VA

Pyrut

New User
Jack
Uncle Sam's Naivey 1963 -1970 Active, '70-75 reserve
Boot camp San Diego co.154
FT'A school Bainbridge Md
Basic Submarine School, NLON Conn '64
USS Sam Houston SSBN 609 Blue '64-66
Guided Missile School Dam Neck Va '66-67